Does having too much affect computer performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwanana

Reaction score
Hi there,

Sorry if this seems like such a newbie question, but if you have more content on your PC, is it likely that it will slow down? I run defragmentations weekly and am currently running a laptop - 31.2 GB left out of 52.4 GB. :runaway:

Thanks for yo' time :dancingna :hyper::facesjump

James

Banned
Reaction score
A fast PC should be abill to handle it, dont clog it up to much though, if your doing defrags a lot it should be allright, try not to got over 90% of windows disk.
Hope this helps

Bwanana

Reaction score
Ah, brilliant! That's great James. :hsughr:

I was getting a bit worried that I had used up almost 50% :confused:

Thanks for clearing that up. :bigok:

Jake

Developer
Contributors
Reaction score
hmm yah i was gunna say leave at least 5GB of space open, at the very least, because of paging, and whatnot... and if you do decide to defrag it goes much faster (defragging) when it has space to move around files in.

Bryon

I Fix Things
Reaction score
If you have a decent amount of RAM, your computer's "performance" shouldn't really be affected by the hard drive, unless your RAM "fills up". (When it's full your CPU would have to deal with writing data to and from the HDD, thus slowing it down greatly.)

Jordan K

[B]tags dont work:([/B]
Reaction score
Basically the only space you NEED to have left on your HDD is about 1 - 5MB more than your page file's size.

So if you have a 4096MB page file, you should have around 5001MB free on your HDD for performance no different than an empty HDD. The only reason your comp. will slow down with the more files you have is because Windows has an indexing service. It keeps track & records all files on your HDD so when you do a file search in Windows it finds things faster. The more things you have on your comp, this can slow down your comp. slightly. You can disable this service though.

Conor

Reaction score
Also depends on your HD speed especially if you are using a SATA drive. :)

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
good grief, how can you use so much space haha

but yeah just keep up with occassional defrags, remove progs you never use, run programs like ccleaner to save some space by removing temp internet files, etc

Equiflux

Reaction score
Here's the deal, it's not you, it's just many people with little experience think that.

Just like that other guy said, Hard Drive usage shouldn't affect your machine's speed at much at all, except when you use a program that has MANY files stored that it needs to load, such as when you first start up 3DS Max.

Your computer actually just starts lagging up when a lot of your Ram space gets used up. If this is the case, I advise you to go to a hardware store and buy a new Ram to add on to your comp's current memory. Ram's aren't that expensive, they range from 50-150 dollars, depending on the brand and how much space it holds.

If it's not RAM problems, it's most likely CPU. Most standard prebuilt desktops today come with a 2.4 gigahert processor, which is indeed fairly fast. laptop(that cost around 500-1500 dollars) CPU's can range from 800 Megahertz to 1.8 Gigahertz. This just means..... Your comp isn't invincible. It will lag up if you Run more apps that it's able to run, or if you run an app that eats up your CPU.

One way to make the startup process faster is by disabling useless processes and services. Just click start---> Run, in run type msconfig. a new window should pop up. click the startup tab, and disable all processes, and rechecking all the ones that you like. then go to services. DO NOT DISABLE ALL. just disable the ones you hate.

Bwanana

Reaction score
Cheers for all this info guys.

Nice post Equiflux! I might just buy some new RAM anyways... maybe some new space.

Status
Not open for further replies.