Does Hosting a Video Player Break x10hosting ToS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paint2010

Reaction score
Are we allowed to host a video script, such as the JW player? The videos are embedded from youtube, and other video-sharing sites. The only thing that is required is a script for the video player itself and any add-ons to be embedded onto the site. Are we allowed to do this or does this break the x10hosting ToS?

Thanks in advance, Paint.

Site Source: http://www.longtailvideo.com/players/

Edited: Basically, the video player appearance is put on the site. All videos are embedded into that video player on the site, from youtube, veoh and other video-sharing sites. The videos are NOT hosted on the site. Only the player files are needed for it to work. Such files can be uploaded via FTP to the site. All I need to know if it breaks the Terms of Service in any way. I checked myself, but I'm stilled confused and worried that I might miss something important in the ToS that applies.

Last edited:

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
There shouldn't be a problem with that.
You might get suspended for high resource usage or you may use up bandwidth but since you aren't hosting the videos, you shouldn't have to really worry about that.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
It depends on what kind of videos are being linked. Illegal videos could get you suspended, I believe.

paint2010

Reaction score
It depends on what kind of videos are being linked. Illegal videos could get you suspended, I believe.

There is always a disclaimer stating that my site does not own the videos. The videos are copyrighted, owned, and etc. by etc. I will have that disclaimer visible with the video. Any videos that are created by me or the staff of my site will have a disclaimer saying that we own the video, in that case.

There shouldn't be a problem with that.
You might get suspended for high resource usage or you may use up bandwidth but since you aren't hosting the videos, you shouldn't have to really worry about that.

All videos are embedded from youtube, veoh, etc. I will NOT include the add-on that allows one to share that same video, in order to avoid the use of high resources and bandwidth. One can only link to the whole page that the video is on.

So is that it? So I don't need to worry about the terms of service when hosting the player script? Once again, all videos are embedded from other sites like youtube, etc. A disclaimer is visible with any video that is owned/copyrighted. Only the customizable video-player and add-ons to play ads are on the actual site. Everything else is retrieved from video-sharing sites through embedding.

Thanks to DeadBattery and xav0989!
~Paint.

Last edited:

calistoy

Free Support Volunteer
Community Support
Reaction score
A disclaimer is not going to save your site from suspension for embedding illegal videos. You control the content, therefore, you can make sure that it doesn't violate TOS.

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Just to add on to the thread, you must have permission to use the videos. (Also, it can't be adult material either)

paint2010

Reaction score
Adult content is strictly prohibited on my site, so I can ensure that there will be no adult material. It's a kid-friendly site.

Anyway, some videos may be episodes of television shows. I see the subbed episodes on youtube and the true ownership of the video, etc. are conveyed in the description. Videos that did not have such description were removed fro copyright infringement. Those that included such "disclaimer" still exist. So I'm assuming that the videos can be shared, as long as nothing conveys the video in a way that it implies that it belongs to my site.

Edited: Excerpt from legal disclaimer. If there are any copyright infringement issues or any other issues, you should contact the responsible parties that host these videos, directly.

I have permission to use the videos, since I am merely embedding them directly from a video-sharing site such as youtube. However, if any copyright infringement issue exists, as stated above in the quick excerpt of the legal disclaimer, then the responsible party that hosted the video on youtube should be contacted directly.

Last edited:

calistoy

Free Support Volunteer
Community Support
Reaction score
Excerpt from TOS:

1. Server Usage
Personal accounts are to be used by the primary owner only. Personal account holders are not permitted to resell, store or give away web-hosting services of their website to other parties. Web hosting services are defined as allowing a separate, third party to host content on the owner's web site. Exceptions to this include ad banners, classified ads, and personal ads. x10Hosting reserves the right to refuse service and/or access to its servers to anyone. Each individual is allowed ONE account only. x10Hosting does not allow any of the following content to be stored on its servers.

* Illegal Material: This includes copyrighted works, commercial audio, video, or music files, and any material in violation of any Federal, State, or Local regulation. You may not store copyrighted Mp3s or videos on your webspace in any way shape or form.

Another user's disclaimer doesn't save you from embedding/linking to their illegal videos either. Just make sure that the videos you embed on your website don't violate x10hosting's TOS as you are responsible for the content on your own site.

Last edited:

paint2010

Reaction score
Okay. I'm not storing the files in any way, so that's good. I'll make sure that the copyright issues don't occur. Thanks everyone!

Zubair

Community Leader
Community Support
Reaction score
Anything else you want to discuss or may i close this thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.