Domain Name Register doing the dirty....

Doc Photoshop

Reaction score
I don't know if this is in the right section, I would say it is more news or general information.

I had some information come to me from a couple of sources regarding Network Solutions INC, and the way that they are possibly scamming people.

The thing that they are doing, is when someone types in a domain name in their search function, if the domain is free, they are registering it to themselves, and charging a shed load for it.

I didn't believe that this was something that would happen, so I went along with a random string of text and searched that in their domain search...

Then this morning, I did a WHOIS lookup (using a separate WHOIS provider) on the domain, just to see if it was available...

Guess who came up as the registered owner... Network Solutions INC.

F

Fahad

They say it's to protect from Front Running. Technically, that IS front running!!!

Loneua Technologies

Reaction score
Ya,

I think that happened to my domain

It was nothing before and now it is registered under someone :(

It registered under some guy that got it off moniker.

I shouldnt have searched my domain :(

Last edited:

Mitch

Reaction score
Loneua, that really sucks when something like that happens.

VeggieBoy

Reaction score
I don't know if this is in the right section, I would say it is more news or general information.

I had some information come to me from a couple of sources regarding Network Solutions INC, and the way that they are possibly scamming people.

The thing that they are doing, is when someone types in a domain name in their search function, if the domain is free, they are registering it to themselves, and charging a shed load for it.

I didn't believe that this was something that would happen, so I went along with a random string of text and searched that in their domain search...

Then this morning, I did a WHOIS lookup (using a separate WHOIS provider) on the domain, just to see if it was available...

Guess who came up as the registered owner... Network Solutions INC.

I think that kind of stuff is really stupid. Our world is corrupt. Nowadays that is all anything about is money... It's REALLY stupid... I think that someone should hack their site and shut it all down... That would be really cool :happysad:. I wish people would stop this scamming crap... Money IS the core of all evil. It is true!!! Look at all the stupid politicians... I hate them all... I hope all of them die! DIE! Okay well I'm done really. I just people wouldn't do that kind of stuff.

Loneua Technologies

Reaction score
Loneua, that really sucks when something like that happens.
It does suck,

Thats my company name (copyright/trademark pending).

Now someone has is, there is still another variation i can use but its a

very big annoyance :(.

Last edited:

bigjoe4

Reaction score
I give 200 credits to whoever hacks their site and shuts it down.

satbir

Reaction score
It is really going in very wrong direction.

I have faced this myself and not on one site but mutiple sites.

First time it happened when I was searching on domaintools.com. I searched and the domain name was taken up next day.

Second time I thought let me use some reputed registrar and therefore I checked through verisign. To my surprise there also it happened.
I did send mail to Verisign and as expected no reply came.

I have also observed that sometime these names get dropped after three day grace period. This is called domain tasting where they register and see if any traffic is coming. If not they drop after grace period.

It is really serious time that this need to be stopped and Internet regulatory authority take some action against these guys.

I have registered one site safewhoissearch.com to provide a safe whois search. However I am looking for techinical assistance to develop that site. Meanwhile I am trying to gather list of the site where someone has experienced this behaviour. So I request all of you to post on this site so that we can have a comprehensive list of all these rogue sites.

Last edited:

greeney

Reaction score
Yep I've had this happen to me before, and I have a friend who has also been a victim. If you're going to buy a domain, DON'T keep searching to check if it's still available, or it won't be.

satbir

Reaction score
@greeney - Can you give my site through which you and your friend searched. I am making a list of rogue sites.

Also if someone is having good experience then let us share that also.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
Thats definately a scam.
After the 4 days, does it get unregistered?
Also, I use 123-reg for a domain name. It's v. cheap.

dwd2000

Reaction score
If there is a way to make an easy dollar, someone's going to try it.
It's the same with spam. Someone gets your e-mail address and sells it to companies who send the spam. I use ChoiceMail Free. It's great for weeding out the spam.
As for Network Solutions INC., the best way to get back at them is bad press. Go to as many forums and such you can find, and post the same message there too. Create a "Blacklist" on your site, and give very good reasons for them being on the list. (The power of the pen...) In this case it's the power of the keyboard.

tgkprog

Reaction score
so a good way to guard against it is to register as soon as u search and find it free?

i think this is one of the prices we pay for a free net ... information is free ... action costs ... and your ideas only as good as long as u can use it .... or its "open source"

Last edited: