e-commerce site not working - mof.cgi produces forbidden access and now 500 error.

afieldoutback90

Reaction score
I am working on someone's website which needs designing and updating. A year ago the site was uploaded (via another host) and was working with form button links to add products to cart (paypal). Now the links just produce the forbidden page. I changed the .htaccess files to execute but now the links produce the 500 server error.

Additionally, I have checked the hosting panel and cgi scripts are allowed and ticked. I am not sure where to put the .htaccess file and have tried several locations with no or worse results (page won't load through links).

The site was made with Net Objects Fusion and when modified or updated only produces the file/folder structure to work without e-commerce (e.g. html, assets, styles folder + index file). I don't know how the cgi-bin was produced with the mof.cgi file and other folders including mofcart, acatalog, ares folders. These additional e-commerce folders were already uploaded and presume come from a paypal pack (I think?). this is probablt where i am slipping up - but not sure on the developing side.

The links from the buttons are:
e.g. product 01 button - http://www.sitename.co.uk/cgi-bin/mcart/mof.cgi
Viewcart button - http://www.sitename.co.uk/cgi-bin/mcart/mof.cgi?viewcart

The site is uploaded via another host but we do not want to promote it or divulge it's details yet for marketing purposes. Hopefully you can get an idea from these details here.

The question is can anyone help me to get these buttons working? I can then get on with the designing issues.

I am watching this forum all day so can answer any other questions

afieldoutback90

Reaction score
Re: e-commerce site not working - mof.cgi produces forbidden access and now 500 error

I am not sure whether there is anyone with the credentials to answer this post (on this site). Maybe somebody could point me to another developer forum which will produce some results.
Thanks.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Re: e-commerce site not working - mof.cgi produces forbidden access and now 500 error

You haven't actually told us enough to help you. There is, for instance, no indication at all of how data are supposed to be transmitted from the page to the CGI script. (You've provided an anchor link with no apparent way to add a query string unless there's more to the web page than you're telling us, and since we know zilch about the script itself, we can't tell you whether there ought to be POST data, GET data, cookie data or anything else. The 500 is telling you that whatever you're sending is definitely wrong.)

And this isn't a support channel, and the question has nothing to do with this environment; you have no right of expectation here, and are rather dependant on the goodwill of your fellow users, so ease up.

afieldoutback90

Reaction score

You haven't actually told us enough to help you. There is, for instance, no indication at all of how data are supposed to be transmitted from the page to the CGI script. (You've provided an anchor link with no apparent way to add a query string unless there's more to the web page than you're telling us, and since we know zilch about the script itself, we can't tell you whether there ought to be POST data, GET data, cookie data or anything else. The 500 is telling you that whatever you're sending is definitely wrong.)

And this isn't a support channel, and the question has nothing to do with this environment; you have no right of expectation here, and are rather dependant on the goodwill of your fellow users, so ease up.

I am looking at the files in Net Object Fusion and know that the method is post on the form buttons. I was told that the site owner had a virus and the site stopped working. I am not sure even what happens when you click on a buy now button. I believe they are not Paypal buttons. Maybe somebody knows what type of order system this is based on the form buttons and mof.cgi. I know I am explaining this blind but I hoped somebody could build an idea based on the links attached to the buttons. Hope this is more useful.

Yes I am "tight" up because there was a lot of views without any other further questions. Thanks for this response anyway.

Last edited:

afieldoutback90

Reaction score

Thank you for that response. The host is "Fasthosts". I was hoping to build on the site once it was repaired. My idea was to test it here or an add on to the site, based on some pages from the site. I suppose the question now is could I take some of the site and upload it here (x10) and change the links - would x10 be able to process the order? Again the contents of the cgi-bin baffle me.

I have also looked at one of the old invoices produced from over a year ago. It links to "Merchantpal" http://www.merchantpal.com/ so I am wondering whether there is a subscription that has run out or something? I am having a meeting tomorrow with the site owner and am putting together some questions for him. Maybe you could point me to what I should ask? The site owner concentrates on the business side and his old developer/designer has left the region and isn't really contactable.

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score

1) You haven't linked to the actual page displaying the error -- all of your links are not to your particular website but rather a placeholder
2) You haven't detailed what changes you've made to the .htaccess file, this is often the cause of errors if you mess with that without knowing wtf you are doing

Don't expect help if you aren't willing to give information. I highly suggest reading through this guide on asking questions as well.

afieldoutback90

Reaction score

1) You haven't linked to the actual page displaying the error -- all of your links are not to your particular website but rather a placeholder
2) You haven't detailed what changes you've made to the .htaccess file, this is often the cause of errors if you mess with that without knowing wtf you are doing

Don't expect help if you aren't willing to give information. I highly suggest reading through this guide on asking questions as well.

The error page was the "Forbidden" page then when I made the .htaccess file executable and readable by "World" the link now produces the 500 server error (I did mention that earlier - re: giving information). I am not sure where to put the .htaccess file?

What I understand now is that the merchantpal used to process the order and now it doesn't.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score

Again, we need details. Unless and until you provide them, we're stuck with the current state-of-the-art in MROIP (Mind Reading Over Internet Protocol), which isn't great. Either post code or live links. With the .htaccess part, you'll need to post the content of the file since it shouldn't be publicly viewable (ever) if the server is properly configured. You're telling us that the car makes a funny noise, and we're asking you what kind of funny noise and where it's coming from, and you're just saying that the noise is really, really funny in response. It might be the transmission, or you might have the radio on at a low volume and tuned to an experimental music program on the local college radio station—there's no way to know. Read the link you were given, and then get back to us.