Flashy or Functionality?

dwd2000

Reaction score
When you visit a website, do you prefer a flashy site, or a site that concentrates more on functionality?

HomerJ

Reaction score
Functionality is what matters. Of course, if there is unreadable text or bright clashing colours, that takes away from the site's functionality.

So functionality is what matters, but appearance can contribute to or take away from the functionality.

blahmenator

Reaction score
I would definitely prefer a flashy site, because that is what tells me that its a good professional looking site, which has at least had some time spent on making it look good (even though there's still a chance there hasn't really!). Unless it's a site that I use every day (e.g. email), then functionality wouldn't contribute to my impressions of the site that much, unless it was so badly designed and laid out that it gets totally confusing...

intenex

Reaction score
If flashy in a manner that compliments functionality. Functionality is skill - flash by itself is an indicator of amateurity.

______

BlackQuantum

Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG

Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
BlackQuantum.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG

Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG

Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG

nayddan

Reaction score
I believe the site needs to be flashy so people will take it seriously no matter what you have on it. But without the functionality you will not get them to return.

intenex

Reaction score
Well this site isn't all that flashy, and it's still quite popular. But then again, that may just be because they require people to use it =p.

What do you consider 'flashy'?

______

BlackQuantum

Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG

Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
BlackQuantum.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG

Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG

Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG
Intenex.PNG

dwd2000

Reaction score
Well this site isn't all that flashy, and it's still quite popular. But then again, that may just be because they require people to use it =p.

What do you consider 'flashy'?

Flashy=bright colours, animations, and/or anything that is not needed to aid in the function of a site.
A site can be very nicely designed without the extra bells and whistles.

Functionality=everything laid out so that it is easily understood. Someone who has never been on the internet before can find his/her way around the site very easily.
Example: Help tips with your internal navigation menu.

In my opinion, a designer must assume that there will be a newbie visiting the site eventually. We should make them feel just as comfortable as everyone who has been surfing for a decade or more. Sometimes a flashy site can actually scare some people away, although the function of the site is excellent.

iholla

Reaction score
Definately functionality.

Flashy distracts the user's attention with all the graphics and animations.

Flashy makes one think that the site is filled with a load of bull hence you should be entertained somehow with the colors and fireworks!

Flashy loads slower and uses more traffic....hence....

Imagine if wikipaedia were a flashy site! Yahoo went flashy, msn/hotmail all too flashy for me.

I like my pages simple and to the point.

So, flashy? Nah-ah, Functionality. Always functionality.

stealth_thunder

Reaction score
I believe in a balance for both, this is because without flashy things, the viewer will get a little bored. If functionality is not there, then even with a nice flash it will not be a good site.

mygorillanet

Reaction score
I believe in a balance for both, this is because without flashy things, the viewer will get a little bored. If functionality is not there, then even with a nice flash it will not be a good site.

We are glad to know about what you believe in. Guess what, I do not care what you believe in! The question is simple and clear and even later explained. flashy or functionality? You come here going ...i believe in balance blah blah blah

It is obvious the two go hand in hand. What you are being asked, is to choose a side. Come on now, make a decision and quit being in the middle.

I am for functionality. for all the obvious reasons stated by iholla and the rest.

arkky

Reaction score
Functionality. There's no use in something that looks really nice but does nothing at all (some people call those things art).

In online terms, functionality is even more important. It's no use having the best designed shopping site for example, but have absolutely horrid user interfaces and etc.

UberNube

Reaction score
I'd always go for functionality over flashyness - far too many sites already on the internet (bebo, facebook, MSN, etc) have flashy user interfaces, but are absolutely awful to navigate, especially if your internet is somewhat laggy or slow. If you have functionality and content, a user will be able to enjoy your site without resorting to flashy gimmicks. Event the flashiest of sites will struggle to get hits if it has poor content or functionality.

dwd2000

Reaction score
I was taught to "Never judge a book by it's cover."
I'll give you an example:
My dentist has a website.
It was obviously done by a pro. It has a lot of animation, but it does nothing for me as a potential customer. It has a slide show with pics of the office with a few "staged" customer pics thrown in. It just looks like a fancy billboard. If I saw the website before going, I might have thought twice about going there.
A little interactivity could help. Maybe a guest book, or something for the kids, like a tooth game of some sort. My dentist doesn't even read her own e-mail. The receptionist does that for her.
I know I'm only talking about a dentist, but the idea is still the same.
Facebook was a nice place to go, until they started introducing all the "extras". The forums for the groups was good enough. You actually interacted with people. Now, you can be so busy reading who took what quiz or whatever, that you don't have time to actually visit the forums. To me, that is too much functionality.

Sohail

Reaction score
Well you would need both don't you think but otherwise i would go for Flash as i've had a lot of experience creating flash websites and i don't know anyone that wouldn't want to go onto a site that not only looks good, but works in the way you want it too aswell.

eliasr

Reaction score
Functionality 100%

In fact a good designed website have great functionality and good look whitout flash everywhere, i don't like flash.

DJSlayer

Reaction score
Flashy as you describe it and I'd say functionality. Bright, flashy stuff just distracts me and hurts my eyes. Though I have gotta admit that a good looking site can add to the functionality, so long as it's nice on the eyes.