Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Rarely

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Never

Votes: 7 26.9%

• Total voters

noratoe

Reaction score
Forced ads. They're everywhere, on nearly every website you visit, plastered all over e-mail newsletters. Many of them are in-your-face, obnoxious flashing animations that clutter up space on the page, increase the page downoad time and fill your browser's cache.

People actually pay to have ads placed claiming that they drive visitors to their website. But are ads really effective?

In my opinion, I hate ads. I make it a point to NEVER CLICK on it, but to type the URL in manually. If I want to purchase something, I will research it myself and make an educated decision instead of randomly clicking on an ad. Ads repel me rather than draw my attention.

One thing I've found to help keep ads out is AdBlock Plus, an add-in for FireFox, and a replacement Windows "HOSTS" file that points many ad servers to an invalid IP address, thus preventing my computer from downloading the ads or clicking on the URL.

Fedlerner

Former Adm & Team Manager
Community Support
Reaction score
I click ads SOMETIMES... Only when the website i visit is really intresting for me, and i like it. So i click it because i know i'll be helping them :)

cetutnx1

Reaction score
Well i Rarely click in the ads... i just findem anoying... don't you? I mean they move change if you find something in the ad that cought your atention clickit fast because it will disapear....

mehtab

Reaction score
No ads should not be placed on site because it will make a site look ulgy. Some popups should be fine.;)

vbtbm

Reaction score
I tottaly think forced ad's is a good thing, if they hosted you for free with no ad's then they would be getting no income for having you on there server, which means cut in profits to host your site and you not paying a thing. So yes Forced ad's is a good thing, it keeps the server up and running.

mcnair

Reaction score
while text links are inobtrusive, i admit i rarely click on them, unless i mistake them for an actual content link in the site. i do click on banners, but mostly the funny game types when you shoot, punch, or do any cute/funny physical violence on something.

depending on the ad, especially nicely done banners, i'd say yeah. i don't like popups though, of any kind. on forced banners, where the user can't place it himself, i'd say it should be limited to one. a top and bottom seems too much

jaygreentree

Reaction score
I don't like the idea of forced as for the following reasons.
1) It may cause validation errors
2) It will most likely screw up my designs that I work very hard to make valid (X)HTML and CSS
3) If a user doesn't want to place the ads then they don't need to be hosted.

Last edited:

MultiMediaMadness

Reaction score
First I don't mind you need to place ads but not automatic ads like some hosts do.
And i don't like the automatic ads because
- It can screw up youre whole layout. (You better make a good place for them)
- It can cause errors and it's a whole issue to remove them. (like lycos i guess)

So i like X10hosting because the aren't automatic, but you need to place them manual.

Good Job X10hosting !

Zenax

Reaction score
My view on this that forced ads are horrible, and really annoying. However I don't mind services such as X10Hosting where you have to have a banner on your website, but they let you place it within your website, which is useful.

A problem with forced ads, is that they are placed automatically into every file! This can get annoying if you want to do php includes or have an iframe on your website, as they are placed into those files as well, which then, you would end up with a web page filled with ads, and no content!

Pop-ups jsut get on my nerves, so in your face and sometimes hard to get rid of, especially the graphical ones without a window, as you gota look for a damn close button on it!

That is just my oppinion on ads.

Kind Regards,
Zenax

Micro

Retired staff <i> (11-12-2008)</I>
Reaction score
Perhaps have forced ads on people known to not place ads (Like suspension twice for no ads), but people who are good with ads let them place them manually?

My opinion

EsotericSociety

Reaction score
I nearly never click on banners/other kinds of ads, and I would certainly never buy anything that was shoved in my face like that. If I need to buy something, I either do it offline or I use Google and find the damn thing myself. :mad:

I agree with you, ads do more to discourage me than encourage me to buy a product. Sometimes I wonder who the hell actually clicks on these things?:dunno: Then again, a lot of people must click on them, otherwise they wouldn't be there.

Ginogunther

Reaction score
Forced ads are so annoying! People click on them just to keep the service free! I HATE FORCED ADS!!!

But if you are running the service and have forced ads, it would bring in some good money :)

Joker Boy

Reaction score
I like x10hosting because you have a choice to place ads. Static acounts dont have to have ads, I don't think. I have a static account and I dont have ads. I don't want ads, but I do want to keep x10hosting alive. I want to donate but paypal isn't working right...I'll find some substitute ;D

monky91

Reaction score
No, I don't and furthermore, I have a filter with my browser, that filter all ads, and now, it save my bandwidth and increase my line speed, furthermore, it make my computer safe, as it will not have post ads to let my father see. ^^

Replicant

Reaction score
i personally just ignore banner ads, it's like i'm used to the common sizes of them and just scroll right past them without, thinkin about it.

Joker Boy

Reaction score
i personally just ignore banner ads, it's like i'm used to the common sizes of them and just scroll right past them without, thinkin about it.

Same thing with me, but they can get really annoying some times. Like the really flashy ones...I hate those. And especially when they have like forced ads in the middle of posts n' stuff. Like on P2P forums (Paid to Post)

Mikek

Reaction score
Adds are just anonying when they interfere in your browsing, eg pop ups, non-slient adds, adds that slow down the page loadings, mouse trapping...
If a page just has google text adds/small static picture adds they aren't that anonying and I sometimes click on it when it looks interesting.

What is really anonying is when you click on an add link and it goes to a web bug(1x1 gif) instead of the advertisted site.

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
popup ads NOBODY likes, they carry to many things with them. Forced ads are no good cause they mess the layout of websites. x10hosting is GOOD cause it does neither.

Joker Boy

Reaction score
Popup ads and Popin ads. The ads where you HAVE to click exit or they stay there and vibrate on your screen! Those are terrible. and annoying. The mouse trapping ads are horrendus too. Actually, all flash ads are annoyiing. I think flash has too many options.

djyox

Reaction score
I don't click on them if they are unwanted ads. Spam, pop-ups I make it a point to not click on them, and I also will go the next step and make sure to not use their website to do shopping or what ever.

HOWEVER, when I see ads on forum for hobbies, I like to use those as much as I can. They are helping my hobby by supporting the forums, I feel the least I can do is check out what they have, and if their prices are the same or better than others, I make sure to use them as well.