Forum Recomendation

Alejandro

Staff
Staff member
Community Support
Reaction score
I want to put a Forum in my site, but I don't know which to use. can you guys tell me what's the best FREE forum? I've seen phpBB, Invision Board and SMF but I wanted you to tell me which is best.

Phil

Retired Staff
Reaction score
aaorozco said:
I want to put a Forum in my site, but I don't know which to use. can you guys tell me what's the best FREE forum? I've seen phpBB, Invision Board and SMF but I wanted you to tell me which is best.
IPB is what i like best. Here's mine www.acaclan.tk .. click forums.. i added a shop to it tho.

Alejandro

Staff
Staff member
Community Support
Reaction score
Mr. Brownlove said:
IPB is what i like best. Here's mine www.acaclan.tk .. click forums.. i added a shop to it tho.
That forum it's great, i'll try to find it in sapnish, thanks man.
And... May I make you a recommendation about your site? I think you should center the ads.

Phil

Retired Staff
Reaction score
aaorozco said:
Mr. Brownlove said:
That forum it's great, i'll try to find it in sapnish, thanks man.
And... May I make you a recommendation about your site? I think you should center the ads.
Yea, I am going to do that once i'm not to lazy to take the time to login to my cpanel haaha

Fatality

Reaction score
Personally I think SMF is a great choice. phpBB updates quite alot which is good to prevent problems with hacking and such, but it is still quite prone to hackers abuse.

Free IPB is like..too exploitable.. I´ve heard actually bad things about the free one. Only use IPB if you use the good, bought software, like version 2.0 or any updated up to date version.

There is also vBulltin..quite expensive for what you get, but it´s very nice.

If you want free, use SMF, or phpBB, before you use IPB. Ipb is also complicated, and sometimes hard to administrate. phpBB is too easy. xD

NewFuture

Reaction score
ill bare all these recommendations in mind when i amke my forum

Phil

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Tyler said:
I have never used Smf befor.
Alot of people seem to like it though. I'm going to play around with it and tell you what i think :)

chaganlal1

Reaction score
Well i think you should try all of the main ones to me i like phpBB because of all the mods and the skins are pretty good most other people like IPB i think its pretty good but i dislike SMF

Alejandro

Staff
Staff member
Community Support
Reaction score
There must be some problems with fantastico because, I tried to install SMF and phpBB2 and I get db errors.

Alejandro

Staff
Staff member
Community Support
Reaction score
Sorry for double post, but I didn't want to start a new thread.
I decided to use IPB, it's really nice, but a bit complex. I installed IPB 1.2 from cPanel, because I couldn't find IPB 2.0 for free.
Well, I think I configured everything, so it must be working properly by now. If you speak spanish, why don't you register and help me make this new community grow?, if not, I'm opening an English Category for all of you. http://www.katieholmesmexico.com/forums

Matthews255

Reaction score
nice,

IPB 2.x is not free. It used to be. Someone i know had a demo with an unlimited licence.

XColl

Reaction score
Matthews255 said:
nice,

IPB 2.x is not free. It used to be. Someone i know had a demo with an unlimited licence.

2.0.0 and 2.0.1 is free though, only if you had it before it was declared commercialized.

Woolie

Reaction score
Matthews255 said:
nice,

Its a shame u cant extend licences for software by just setting the windows clock back like you could in the good old days.