Forum troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venom

Reaction score
ARRGH!

I decide to set-up a test forum and choose to use SMF as it sounds both relly powerful and easy-to-setup/use.
However, through trial and error my non-existant computer skills get me through to the install.php stage, and even to the "Create your account" page, but then everything goes belly-up.

Typical.

As far as I can tell I'm doing everything right, but when I click "Finish", it returns:

"Cannot connect to the MySQL database server with the supplied data.

If you are not sure about what to type in, please contact your host."

ARRGH!

I've tried like 15 times, but keep getting that error!

Any help would really be appreciated...

Venom

Reaction score
(Sorry about the double-post!)

Umm...yeah, I still haven't gotten that to work, but I've realised that you can install SMF through Fantastico... but lo and behold I can't get pass the first page (out of 3) of installation without it returning:

"Warning: mysql_connect(): Access denied for user: 'venom@localhost' (Using password: YES) in /tmp/cpanel.venom.1119948179.12837 on line 1237
Access denied for user: 'venom@localhost' (Using password: YES)"

and failing!

AARRRRGH!!! (my fav word)

if anyone can help, then PLEASE DO!!

Thanks so much in advance...

A noob in need.

n4tec

Reaction score
what is the link to the forum? where are you installing it? How are you installing it?

Venom

Reaction score
Well... there is no real link just yet, scince Fantastico is returning that error, and I've scince dropped the mysql database to whichI was tying to install SMF manually, I don't thing the link would work. I WAS trying to install it to http://venom.x10hosting.com/forums/ , but being just a test forum, the name doesn't really matter.

Where am I installing it? How do you mean?

And I tried to install it both through Fantastico and manually through http://venom.x10hosting.com/forums/install.php

PS
I've tried Fantastico with several other scripts and thy all return the same error

Status
Not open for further replies.