FTP settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadbmaynard

Reaction score
Hey, what's the settings I should use on my FTP manager/browser? I mean things like SSL, passive or active, things of that nature. IPv4 or 6? I wish I was smarter about this stuff.

Bryon

I Fix Things
Reaction score
What FTP client are you using? You should be able to put your username, password, and the site/IP into the "login area", and login without changing much of anything. It really does depend on the FTP Client though, so tell me that and I'll attempt to help your out further.

B

Brandon

just leave everything as it is and enter your FTP infomation.

chadbmaynard

Reaction score
The problem is, I changed the stuff when I couldn't connect, and now I can't remember what they were set to. SSL, TLS, clear, secure, whatever all of those things are supposed to be set to. Can you tell me?

Bryon

I Fix Things
Reaction score
Try to find a "default" setting on it in the preferences, to set everything back to normal.

I'm really not sure about the defaults. I know at least from what you have said:

-No SSL
-No TSL
-Passive mode *does* work.. I don't know if it is needed..
-You said somethign about IPv4 and IP6.. What do you mean? Just use:
ftp.yoursubdomain.domain.tld (Example: ftp.nedren.elementfx.com)
To connect to it.. Your username and password too, obviously.

Also, are you getting any errors?

n4tec

Reaction score
In smartFTP.. You simply put your domain [ yourdomain.x10hosting.com ], your cpanel username and password.. You just leave it as Normal FTP

chadbmaynard

Reaction score
Well, as far as default settings, I don't have that option. IPv4 as compared to IPv6 protocol. I'm assuming it's IPv4 since IPv6 is more or less not implemented on most networks. The only error I am getting is that my password isn't accepted. But I can use the web-based file manager just fine with that password. I can't edit the password for that FTP account. I guess that I could continue using the web based thing, but I like the feel of an FTP browser. It seems more user friendly to me. If you all don't know what the settings should be, that's all good. Maybe I'll mess around with it some more. Will it lock me out after so many failed attempts?

Phil

Retired Staff
Reaction score
n4tec said:
In smartFTP.. You simply put your domain [ yourdomain.x10hosting.com ], your cpanel username and password.. You just leave it as Normal FTP
Thats what I use nice and simple and free :)

Status
Not open for further replies.