Fun with Linux and Music...

dragoneye_xp

Reaction score
Try this in the console:
sudo ls -R / | aplay

I did it just to be dumb and got a bunch of weird noise, but a few seconds later, it started sounding like something from some heavy rock song, and was really cool for a while until it stopped and went back to the werid beeps and squeeks.

And here's another interesting one:
sudo tcpdump -i eth0 | aplay

Also, someone tried to run a bitmap of the american flag through aplay and it came out sounding like Digital Hardcore (also very cool). This gave me an idea: If you can make a picture into a sound why not convert all your sounds (mp3s, etc) to bitmap pictures or something and then you can share them over the net and the people on the other end could have a player that plays the image back as sound. That would be cool... and RIAA guys would not be as wise to this until it got popular...

Last edited:

The_Magistrate

Reaction score
Interesting idea. I know there are programs that allow you to embed information into an image. It's possible to have a picture contain a music file, you would just need special software to extract it.

dragoneye_xp

Reaction score
An even better use of this steganography would be to have software to combine the music with an image so people would see, say a picture of a kitten, and then it can be converted back into the music.
But there'd have to be some sort of algorithm so that you could combine any image with any music (or other) file and still be able to extract the file from the image.
...and, also, lossless compression.

Last edited: