Game of the year 2007, World of warcraft the burning crusade

soten355

Reaction score
Too early to count your chickens.
For one, Halo 3 and Spore coming out in '07. Those look like to be pretty big games.

t2t2t

Reaction score
Elder Scrolls won the 06 right?
What top are you talking about?

GameSpot's 2006 Game of the Year was Gears of War (X360)

About topic, there are loads of games to wait, small list of them:

Half-Life 2: Episode 2
WoW: The Burning Crusade
Crysis
Unreal Tournament 2007
Spore
Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
Command & Conquer 3
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
Frontlines: Fuel of War
Tabula Rasa

soten355

Reaction score
What top are you talking about?

GameSpot's 2006 Game of the Year was Gears of War (X360)

About topic, there are loads of games to wait, small list of them:

Half-Life 2: Episode 2
WoW: The Burning Crusade
Crysis
Unreal Tournament 2007
Spore
Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
Command & Conquer 3
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
Frontlines: Fuel of War
Tabula Rasa
You forgot Halo 3 and Portal :)

Last edited:

Bonekhan

Reaction score
I can't wait for Spore... but Halo 3 I could do without. I frankly do not share in the craze as many others do... the game was unchallenging and bland and, when on multiplayer, the people were jackasses and jerks. XBox attracting more mature gaming crowds? Yeah, right.

Zenax

Reaction score
The Halo Series is an amazing set of games, and I for one can't wait for the third one to come out.

I have played GoW and many others, however Halo 3 stays at the top of my list of games to play.

Back to the original subject, I don't think that WoW will get game of the year, as many other people have mentioned before hand, that there are many more games to come out in 2007, which could easily take the spot of game of the year, such as Halo and Spore.

Regards,
Zenax

soten355

Reaction score
I can't wait for Spore... but Halo 3 I could do without. I frankly do not share in the craze as many others do... the game was unchallenging and bland and, when on multiplayer, the people were jackasses and jerks. XBox attracting more mature gaming crowds? Yeah, right.
I really don't know how Halo is bland and unchallenging. If you were to play it on heroic or legendary, you would definitely be spending many hours, and getting very frustrated as to how insanely hard Halo actually is on the harder difficulties.
And you can't really judge a game's mutliplayer based on people. The multiplayer is great, but the people playing the multipalyer aren't.
I think, and nothing personal to it, you share in the craze of not liking halo. The story is original, the gameplay is and controls are original.
If you're gonna rag on Halo, you're gonna need to back it up a bit.

Bonekhan

Reaction score
I really don't know how Halo is bland and unchallenging. If you were to play it on heroic or legendary, you would definitely be spending many hours, and getting very frustrated as to how insanely hard Halo actually is on the harder difficulties.
And you can't really judge a game's mutliplayer based on people. The multiplayer is great, but the people playing the multipalyer aren't.
I think, and nothing personal to it, you share in the craze of not liking halo. The story is original, the gameplay is and controls are original.
If you're gonna rag on Halo, you're gonna need to back it up a bit.

Thats fair enough. I can admit--to a certain degree--that Legendary was hard, but it was still a basic shoot-em-up. Yes, there were vehicles; yes, there were some nice weapons, and the graphics were fine, but I thought it lacked original gameplay. By "not sharing in the craze of Halo" I do not mean I never play it... just, not to a certain degree of enthusiasm. I play with my friends every now and them. Multiplayer is great when you're not playing with jackasses--because, really, there is no other way to describe the youth that play Halo, coupled with obnoxious humorless teens.

Me? I go for originality. I like the Ratchet and Clank saga--which, some might argue, is another shoot-em-up (Think Halo with gadgets)--as well as the Way of the Samurai, which boasts a truely unique targeting and attack system, and a good storyline to boot.

Since I don't have a good computer, World of Warcraft does not much appeal to me. Participating in many text based online games (DarkThrone and Shila among my favorites) has made me realize something: when you take away the graphics, the morons leave. A very biased and crude statement, but I find that people generally speak better, have better stuff to say, and are generally more intelligent when they don't think a game is boring just because you have to read.

By the way... didn't 2007 just start?

soten355

Reaction score
Thats fair enough. I can admit--to a certain degree--that Legendary was hard, but it was still a basic shoot-em-up. Yes, there were vehicles; yes, there were some nice weapons, and the graphics were fine, but I thought it lacked original gameplay. By "not sharing in the craze of Halo" I do not mean I never play it... just, not to a certain degree of enthusiasm. I play with my friends every now and them. Multiplayer is great when you're not playing with jackasses--because, really, there is no other way to describe the youth that play Halo, coupled with obnoxious humorless teens.
Well, Halo might seem like a basic shoot-em-up because the first one came out in 2001. FPS's before then were even more basic of a shoot-em-up, and when Halo came out it had a simple gameplay that was never seen before (huge fields, grenades at ready, two weapons only, vehicles(though done before), good AI). It somewhat set the standard for FPS's, now a days, fps's somewhat copy the two weapon only scheme, the "run through the level, shoot guys, press button, run some more" scheme.
But what sets Halo apart from other FPS's is that it was designed around an arcade style of gameplay. In the DVD for Halo 2, a game designer tells how Halo's game mechanics work:
not word for word said:
Halo is about...30 seconds of fun stacked ontop of eachother.
I mean, you go into a room and there's a group of guys there. You throw a grenade into them and most of them die, so you pick off the stragglers.
That's fun, and if we can somehow capture that fun and stack it on top of it over and over again, without making it dull, we stretch it out to make a whole game.
Derived from that, Halo is basicaly designed around an arcade game. Most people know an arcade game is about 30 seconds of fun. Bungie devised a way to stack that 30 seconds of fun on top of eachother over and over again without making it dull.
It's okay for you to think that Halo isn't the greatest game ever, and it's probably true. Some people just love Halo because it's Halo.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Ya, 2007 DID just start.

Back on topic: why in the world did it get rated GOTY'07, by ANYONE? It isn't even out yet! That'd be like me ranking Duke Nukem Forever "Game of the Year 2007." First of all, it might not even BE released in 07, and while WoW:BC doesn't exactly stand much of a chance of being released outside of 07, the fact remains it isn't even out yet.

Which then puts it into the league of Spore, Halo 3, and Duke Nukem Forever. And out of the four, I'd take Spore, hands down, just for ingenuity. WoW is just an example of how to take a franchise, twist the universe so it fits a new game style (rts to mmorpg), then mass market it to every one (and I mean EVERYONE) with an internet connection and pc.

Spore seems more interesting than WoW:BC to me. In any case, I'm waiting till December to see what GOTY'07 is. Can't tell what it'll be since it's the 5th where I am - 5 days of game releases in 07.

Oh, and just for the record: Duck Hunt kicks any game's backside clear into 30XX. Just making that clear ;)

Edit: And why in the name of all things sacred does it seem like on every forum I post on, I always end up as the first post on the SECOND PAGE :(

Last edited:

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
It's a curse. :)

Ok, I'm gunna need some Good JuJu charms, a keg of beer to sacrifice to the Gods, and some jellybeans.

Dunno why I need jellybeans though - I'll come up with a reason ;)

Oh yea, and I found another game in the running for GOTY2007: Cooking Mama: Cook Off for the Wii (it ain't released which puts it in with burning crusade! Q1 2007!) :)

No, I'm actually serious. Cooking Mama is easily my most played DS game, with Trauma Center in a very close second. And I've seen TC on the Wii, and it is ++++++++. I'd expect CM to be the same ^_^

unpixelatedgamers

Reaction score
Uh, isn't Burning Crusade just an expansion pack? Can't see how it'll be wildly different enought to garner game of the year.

Especially with all the other fantastic games coming out this year.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, ya BC is an expansion...But...Well...

Dawn of War: Dark Crusade technically was an expansion but I think it's practically a whole new game.

I mean, Dawn of War was cool. Winter assault gave us a new faction/campaign to play. Dark Crusade took away a campaign, replacing it with a sort of Risk-esque conquering system, added two campaigns, etc.

And if I'm right, it's also stand-alone - does NOT require the original or the other expansion to work. :biggrin:

If BC's like that it'll work great. But something tells me I'm gunna need to HAVE WoW to play it, so it kinda takes it out of that running.

Thankfully for BC though DC got released last year which takes it out of the running for GOTY2007. Didn't stop it from winning Best Expansion Pack at IGN's best of '06 though: http://bestof.ign.com/2006/pc/5.html :biggrin:

I don't mean to laugh either, but Company of Heroes got best online instead of WoW. Oddly enough, nothing even WoW like was in their tops for the pc - Relic Entertainment picked up best developer, and there's no sign of WoW in any of their 21 (22 if you include PC Game of the Year, but I don't since it's usually a game that picked up one of the other awards) awards at all :S

Last edited: