Gimp or Photoshop?

• Gimp

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Photoshop

Votes: 36 72.0%

• Total voters

the_site

Reaction score
I don't know if this is was already a topic, but I am used to Photoshop ...
So I choose Photoshop:biggrin:

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
I have seen this thread several times. What the heck, I chose Photoshop.

sdnoble

Reaction score
This question reads "spend money or not ?"

Photoshop remains vastly superior despite impressive features in Gimp and the ablity to use many (but not all) 3rd party filters desinged for Photoshop.

But the mere fact that Gimp makes using a freeware alternative to Photoshop a matter for serious consideration is testiment to how far the product can be taken.

There will always be things you can do with Photoshop that you can't do with Gimp. Do you need those things ? and are they worth the money for your individual goal ?

Spend the money if you believe you'll be using bleeding edge features and need to learn the tools that provide them. If all you want is great raster image software, try Gimp; chances are its limitations won't matter.

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
This question reads "spend money or not ?"

Photoshop remains vastly superior despite impressive features in Gimp and the ablity to use many (but not all) 3rd party filters desinged for Photoshop.

But the mere fact that Gimp makes using a freeware alternative to Photoshop a matter for serious consideration is testiment to how far the product can be taken.

There will always be things you can do with Photoshop that you can't do with Gimp. Do you need those things ? and are they worth the money for your individual goal ?

Spend the money if you believe you'll be using bleeding edge features and need to learn the tools that provide them. If all you want is great raster image software, try Gimp; chances are its limitations won't matter.
Well put :)

taha116

Reaction score
THe starter of this topic should specifiy weather money is a matter in this case or not. No one can deny Photoshop is better but again as mentioned by people in this thread already Gimp is still good and its free.

I personally prefer photoshop.. It can be free too... :naughty::naughty::naughty:

syrius

Reaction score
I personally can't cope without photoshop. Though I only have it because I got a student discount and financial help from college to get it.

Gimp is a fantastic wee program to learn to use a graphics package and the fact that it's free just makes it all the better. At least it's not paint right?

I agree that gimp is a great program if you can't get photoshop but if you're in a graphics design industry the standard is adobe, it's an unfortunate, and expensive fact!

For personal use though Gimp would win every time just because it is free and a fairly simple package to use and you can still produce wonderful graphics with it.

freecrm

Reaction score
I agree that GIMP is a choice that many will make, under financial limitations.

Personally, I have been using photoshop since it first came out and have used it ever since.

Now that the CS Suite has incorporated the MacroMedia products (i.e Dreamweaver for one), it has become an invaluable tool and I feel that, from a professional standpoint, it is a minimum requirement.

ughh_li

Reaction score
photoshop hands down

i use the adobe cs3 package thinkin about cs4 but thats alot of bones

shervinemami

Reaction score
Considering that Photoshop is one of the most popular pieces of software in the world, its obviously going to win the poll!

But ofcourse, most people don't need many of the features of Photoshop, they could do everything they want with much simpler programs, but since Photoshop has such a strong customer base and is used by basically everyone in the printing and graphical design related industries for years now (since it is very well written software), its obvious that Photoshop is going to continue being the most popular for quite sometime. It's even become a slang word that a lot of people use these days, saying that they will "photoshop" something, meaning they will modify a photo on the computer! How often do non-computer geeks say "i look fat in my photo so i'll just Gimp it later!"

But considering how expensive Photoshop is, I hope that more people use other freeware alternatives since Photoshop is way more than what most people need. Apparently there are more people using cracked versions of Photoshop than any other piece of software in the world!

Cheers,
Shervin.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Since I only do 'basic' graphics, many of the features of Photoshop would be wasted on me.
Gimp fills all my needs, and then some.
Combined with the price differential, the choice is simple for me.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I prefer Paint Shop Pro. Suits my level of expertise, is more powerful and 'prettier' than Paint and the Gimp, and is far far cheaper than Photoshop.

Nobody has mentioned Paint.net (www.getpaint.net) yet?

rohitsinha54

Reaction score
If u dnt have money go for gimp

but if u have then photoshop in first case also u can get photoshop

photoshop is much more powerful than gimp and easy to use

i have working experience on both i think photoshop is easy to work as compared to gimp