Global warming VS. World population

Dahlriku

Reaction score
I am going to put this in lay man's terms to get it out quickly.

Stick one person in a closed room, the person will be fine. Stick bout 10 people in a closed room and it will get hot in there pretty quickly.

Being warm blooded we produce body heat. Every person is basically a little heat factory.

Population just about everywhere is on the rise, apply that to my above for mentioned statement.

Discuss: oddball theory's on todays major topics of discussions.

kkenny

Reaction score
Doesn't make a whole lof of sense. If their were the same amount of us with caveman knowledge we wouldn't have "global warming" because if we were still cavemen we wouldn't create greenhouse gases...

But I guess if your talking about the carbon footprint of 10 people then I guess overpopulation of the world really is a factor in global warming. I mean we shouldn't take drastic measures like China but try to do a thing about it.

like2program

Reaction score
I mean we shouldn't take drastic measures like China but try to do a thing about it.
CHINA? The population in China increases so much that if they all walked in front of you, the line would never end. How can they possibly be taking "Drastic Measures" ?

Dahlriku

Reaction score
Doesn't make a whole lof of sense. If their were the same amount of us with caveman knowledge we wouldn't have "global warming" because if we were still cavemen we wouldn't create greenhouse gases...

But I guess if your talking about the carbon footprint of 10 people then I guess overpopulation of the world really is a factor in global warming. I mean we shouldn't take drastic measures like China but try to do a thing about it.

Also, if there were a lot fewer people in the world, all the worlds factories wouldent need to be run as much and fewer things would be needed to be produced in all areas of the world.

Less facotries, less farms, and all that. Land would not need to be cleared, and maybe the world would get better.

And over all, less emissions.

Last edited:

Evocation

Reaction score
Umm, yeah i don't think the problem is the heat we're making, it's the effect on the atmosphere...
I do agree though that while even if each person half the amount of green house gasses etc if there are twice the amount of people then there isn't any difference.

Perfect7

Reaction score
So basically the topic hinges around whether increase in the world population is causing rise in global warming. Well... I don't really think so. When you put 10 people in a room, it gets hot quickly because rooms are small and so there is very little air and breathing space. Whats the largest area that a room could possibly get? That being said, the earth is so vast and the sky so high, even with the current world population, i doubt whether it is taking up even 1% of the space around us. Not to mention the air above the ocean space where no humans are living, the room we have on earth is so much that something as measly as overpopulation couldn't possibly affect a rise in global warming... In my opinion... I think running out of land space is more of a concern for overpopulation than global warming.

That said, I don't believe in global warming. I mean I don't belive that the rising temperature from time to time is manmade. It is more of a natural phenomena that takes place in a cycle after centuries pass. We say that temperatures are reaching records highs, but at the same time in some places temperatures are at a record freezing low. Even the leading scientists who first proposed the theory of global warming are now refuting it as nonsense... Well... It is all my own view... Feel free to disagree with me...

kkenny

Reaction score
CHINA? The population in China increases so much that if they all walked in front of you, the line would never end. How can they possibly be taking "Drastic Measures" ?

Their law prohibits urban and suburban families from having more than one child. Including adoptions/stepkids and all of the sorts.

Dahlriku

Reaction score
So basically the topic hinges around whether increase in the world population is causing rise in global warming. Well... I don't really think so. When you put 10 people in a room, it gets hot quickly because rooms are small and so there is very little air and breathing space. Whats the largest area that a room could possibly get? That being said, the earth is so vast and the sky so high, even with the current world population, i doubt whether it is taking up even 1% of the space around us. Not to mention the air above the ocean space where no humans are living, the room we have on earth is so much that something as measly as overpopulation couldn't possibly affect a rise in global warming... In my opinion... I think running out of land space is more of a concern for overpopulation than global warming.

That said, I don't believe in global warming. I mean I don't belive that the rising temperature from time to time is manmade. It is more of a natural phenomena that takes place in a cycle after centuries pass. We say that temperatures are reaching records highs, but at the same time in some places temperatures are at a record freezing low. Even the leading scientists who first proposed the theory of global warming are now refuting it as nonsense... Well... It is all my own view... Feel free to disagree with me...

I have expanded my theory in a previous post, and this thread is really on the topic of global warming and possible causes, not necessarily if it exists or not, something like a "what if" thread.

Fewer people means fewer things need to be produced.

Perfect7

Reaction score
Oic... Sorry. Just stating my opinion. Ha ha :p

Well I suppose if there are more people there will be more cars and more drivers and more smoke coming out from the exhaust and it will get hotter. :)

jetmav

Reaction score
I have expanded my theory in a previous post, and this thread is really on the topic of global warming and possible causes, not necessarily if it exists or not, something like a "what if" thread.

Fewer people means fewer things need to be produced.

Industrialization was about three hundred <300> years old more or less. Before that people were either farmers and nomads. The earth's resources they used for energy were easily replaced by nature. Now the resources people use for energy <oil and gas> are exhaustible and there is no way of replacing or recycling them back.

All those spent energies and the pollution <carbon monoxide> it causes did not or never did happen way back in the earth's history. Although global warming may be a cyclical phenomenon, our wanton use of energy may also be hastening it.

rlodge

Reaction score
I don't think overpopulation will significantly affect "global warming". Like another poster stated, there's a big difference between a closet and the world.

And why do people keep worrying about this? There are very few (if any) who are actually, genuinely concerned about the Earth, anyway. People are concerned with what people are always concerned about - themselves. They're worried about their own inconvenience and survival not the welfare of the planet. Or they're concerned with making money off of global warming like the Y2K scare. I won't be surprised if I see someone selling solar-powered, air conditioned underwear in the future.

Earth will shake us off like a bad case of fleas and it will keep right on going. The Earth will freeze us off (ice age) burn us off (solar radiation & super volcanoes) and keep right on ticking.

oi2008

Reaction score
Overpopulation is indeed one of the factors that put pressure not only on the environment but also on the Earth's resources. This is even more the case if all the population wants a standard of living comparable to North American or European level.
But, fortunately, thanks to the end of the demographic transition in the developing countries and the increasing educational level throughout the world, the population is expected to decrease after 2040-50 after a peak at 9-10 billion people. In these years, we will also see if the global warming is a real problem and its possible impact on the society.

XtinctionZ

Reaction score
I beg to differ. The world population does attributes to the raising global temperature, but it does not contribute through the heat each person generates.

The Earth is able to radiate heat back to space, and it's large surface area to dissipitate heat absorbed, makes the heat our bodies generated rather insignificant.

Global warming is largely linked to greenhouse gases which are known to trapped heat. We all know that the Sun is the source of radiant energy, and it is absorbed and radiated back into space by the Earth. However, as greenhouse gases in our atmosphere increases, this radiated heat is constantly being reflected back into Earth. Thus, causing the global temperature to increase. This is also the theory behind Global Warming.

People may not choose to believe in that theory, that may be freedom, but to me, it is ignorance. When warnings are giving, and we don't act according to it, we are being ignorant. It's just my two-cents.

Zdroyd

Reaction score
The number of humans on the planet does not contribute to Global Warming, it is how much we pollute, chop down trees and burn natural gasses.

Sorry but the what the person who started this thread said is really stupid and it shows his/her lack of knowledge.

ThePBgod

Reaction score
First I'll say the bit about the population. Looking at it as humans giving off body heat causing problems is nonsense. The heat we generate is so insignificant to other problems. At the same time does population have an affect? Yes, of course. The more people there are, the more energy is consumed. And depending on where that energy comes from, has a negative impact.

Now I personally don't think the term global warming is what it should be called. Because really what it boils down to is our environment is changing faster than we expected. Our climates and seasons are changing. And if you don't think so you're either blind, or don't live in a region that shows it(yet). In the last 5 years or so weather here has become worse and worse. We've gotten snow in what would be considered late spring. We've had weather so nice you could walk out in shorts and a t-shirt in the middle of winter for days. Where I live that's unheard of. Seasons seem to come sooner or far later than they use to in the past. Which 5-10 years ago were far more predictable. SO the earth is changing, whether you agree with it not. Call it a phenomena or global warming, it doesn't matter. Because both are happening. Yes the earth goes though natural changing processes. But these changes take hundreds and thousands of years to normally take affect. Humans are kicking it into overdrive.

Now why is this all happening? Is it the fact that the industrial revolution kicked of our pollution to date, in staggering numbers? You bet it is. But that is human nature. They don't think of what will happen down the t line. they are content with right now, and don't care.That isn't to say its the ONLY reason though. There are many. Earth has a natural filter that cleans our air. You know what that is? Its our forests. And how much do we have left? Very little compared to 300+ years ago. Plant live takes our bad carbons we put into the air and exchanges it with oxygen. You take something like that away with increasing the bad emissions. Troubles are bound to happen.

Can it be reversed? Well scientists say that even if we were to stop all emissions right now, it would take hundreds of years for the planet to correct itself.

How can we help? There are MANY ways people can help. From a country standpoint. China isn't doing anything for the goo. They have plans of adding tens if not hundreds of new nuclear and coal plants for the demanding energy consumption, where as other countries are looking into other forms of energy. This isn't just your planet its everyones. And if everyone doesn't get involved than nothing is going to help. China will offset anythign we do.

What can be done though? So many things. Big and small. We can stop being depending on harmful energies. Cars could be run on hydrogen which can be directly made from water. Houses can be run off wind mill farms, and solar energy, hydro electric power as well. Appliances that use propane can be replaced by electric ones. Plastics consumption can be switched to biodegradable things. Better ways to get rid of waste. Instead of putting it back into our limited fresh water sources(which aren't really all that "fresh" anymore). There's an answer for everything we do that we shouldn't. The problem isn't how its when, and how much. Though, how much shouldn't be in question. I think if you have any respect for the plane you live on then you should do your part to take care of it. Unfortunately the stuff that really matters is the big things, and those are things that most people wont have parts in, it will be the governments.

Personally I think we need to move to solar energy now instead of later. I don't know how many people realize how much we really need. If less than 5% of the United States area was filled with solar cells, we'd have enough free energy to power our entire country. But unfortunately we do everything when we're forced to. Not when we should. In either case, just do your share. Don't continue thinking you're better than everyone and you don't have an impact. small or not, you do. and all those little impacts add up.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
This is still kind of a hard thing to think of. Earth does have it's ways of balancing things out, but for all we know, we may not have enough information to even decide of global warming is true. Before the video got taken down that someone posted here a while ago, it was a very nice video on how some scientists had said that global warming was not true, but was instead a natural cycle that takes place on Earth. Yes, while humans may be a big cause of this, I don't know how to answer this other than the fact that we need more information.

TarouSensei

Reaction score
Overpopulation could certainly contribute to climate change (please refrain from calling it "global warming", that is a horribly inaccurate misnomer). But the population would only significantly effect temperature, climate, etc. if we allowed it to. Interestingly enough, if we have a sudden burst in population, I think it would help the situation.
The assumption of many people is that if we don't know for sure, we shouldn't care. But if population rises severely, it would help get the message across, as we would have the scientists who feel there is a correlation, or have read about this idea, in much greater force demanding that humanity take extra precautions.

Also, if population grew to the point where we couldn't all live here anymore due to lack of room, we would slowly die out. Being dead, as far as we would know, climate change got "all better."