Godaddy, Nameserver, Primary Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmicflu

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I recently changed my x10s primary domain setting to a domain I bought at GoDaddy. And I chose to use GoDaddys dns management system (Total DNS), so I could change MX, CNAME, A records myself; so I left the primary and secondary name servers as their "Default Parked Nameservers" (GoDaddys Total DNS is only available when using one of their name servers).

I also have pointed my A record from GoDaddy, to x10s server (74.86.116.190) where my website is hosted.

Could you guys tell me if this setup is going to work at all? Or am I supposed to use x10s DNS system (through change requests in the forum)? Cause right now it doesn't seem to.

Regards

Chris73

Reaction score
I am seeing an "apache success" page which leads me to believe the Nameservers have yet propagated to x10. This can take up to 72 hours from the time you change the namservers. This will all depend on the registrar as to how long it will take to change over and show your website.

Fedlerner

Former Adm & Team Manager
Community Support
Reaction score
If you're setting an A record for your domain you should point it to: 74.86.240.236

cosmicflu

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I have changed the A record of my domain to point to 74.86.240.236 instead of 74.86.116.190.

I pointed it to .116.190 previously, cause thats what I saw as my server address where my site is hosted, from the x10 panel. Could anyone explain to me (or not, if its against forum rules to talk about non-problem-solving issues) why I have to point it to .240.236? ..I am trying to learn more about this stuff.

Will post a comment again when it starts working correctly, so you guys can close this thread.

bugfinder

Retired
Reaction score
Servers have multiple IPs, sites are placed on other IPs, its a bit like an official name and a nickname.

cosmicflu

Reaction score
Assuming the 'official name' of the server is .116.190; lets say a request came as mydomain.com to the server (mydomain.com's A record points to the official name). Shouldn't the server map mydomain.com to my site ip (.240.236; the nickname yea?), through host files or other techniques, and process the request as such?

Really appreciate all the help you guys are giving.

cosmicflu

Reaction score
Anyhow, the problem has been fixed now. Site loads correctly. Thanks for the help.

Fedlerner

Former Adm & Team Manager
Community Support
Reaction score
Servers have multiple IPs.
Cossacks primary IP is: 74.86.116.190
One of Cossacks secondary IP is: 74.86.240.236, and this is the IP in which hosting accounts are created, so this is why you need to point the A record to his IP Address.

I'm glad it's working now. Feel free to re-open the thread if you need further assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.