Good site ideas?

kkenny

Reaction score
I have low creativity, so I need a good site idea. I want something that can build a community, and can expand. (say like i have a photography forum, I can expand to photography and gaming and lifestyle)

Anyone wanna shoot any ideas at me?

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, If you want to build a site, my advice to you is to do it about something you like or enjoy or are good at or know a lot about etc... So, it's kind of hard for me to give suggestions because I don't know anything about you.

Your best way to get ideas, is to look at your life and see what you spend a lot of time doing that you enjoy, so for example, if you spend 10 hours a day doing school, but you don't enjoy school, then you shouldn't do a site about school. But if you spend 5 hours a day playing basketball and you enjoy basket ball, then that is one thing you could consider building a site around.

I'll try and give you some ideas though.
Alright here they are:

1) Why don't you start a Linux community, where people can discuss linux, get linux help, you could expand into programming for linux, or even build a new distro of linux and build your site around that

2) You could do something sports related, whether it be basket ball or foot ball or base ball or whatever sport you enjoy.

3) You could do a gaming site. Just lots of games and talk about games, and enable users to play games with each other and what not. lol Just a suggestion...

4) You could create a site about using some particular program. For example look at what some one did here: http://www.gimptalk.com/forum/ They created a whole forum/info site around using gimp. Doing something like that would be good because you'd have a forum, but you'd also get to write tutorials too so that you can target search engine traffic.

5) You could do an Origami site. Lol, not really, I don't want any more competition: http://www.anyone-can-origami.com/

Hope one of those ideas helps a bit!;)

kkenny

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions.
As for my hobbies, I'm a general person.
Volleyball is my favorite sport, I like Ice Cream and hip hop dance. I have photography and web design experience. And a little photoshop experience.

I'm definitely a coder, but not a programmer.

I'll think of #2, #3, and #4:)

Reaction score
Anyone can throw website ideas at you.

I also share your experience about having low creativity and ideas however I'm now beginning to think simple and building upon that.

What is important though is that you actually ENJOY that subject you've chosen and have good knowledge within it. Another idea is if you really are looking for ANY website ideas look at a niche that's not very big and where you can actually open a forum or site into that section.

botbg

Reaction score
Yeah, but when you start off and someone goes for the first time...won't they leave because their is like no body there?

That kept happening to me so I don't do forums anymore...

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Yeah, but when you start off and someone goes for the first time...won't they leave because their is like no body there?

That kept happening to me so I don't do forums anymore...

That's because you go about it the wrong way. You first build a site without any forums and that way you'll get yourself a large following of people. Create a site that people will come back to after their initial visit, but do it all with out any forums. Then once you've got lots of followers, then you put in the forums, and with in a week or two, you should have lots of members. It works that way in my experience.

kkenny

Reaction score
That's because you go about it the wrong way. You first build a site without any forums and that way you'll get yourself a large following of people. Create a site that people will come back to after their initial visit, but do it all with out any forums. Then once you've got lots of followers, then you put in the forums, and with in a week or two, you should have lots of members. It works that way in my experience.

Trust me, I can get visitors in no time, I'm admin on 3 other big boards that if their head admins let me, I could just start a site and affiliate with them and get some big hits.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Trust me, I can get visitors in no time, I'm admin on 3 other big boards that if their head admins let me, I could just start a site and affiliate with them and get some big hits.

Yup, if you can do that, you can get some easy traffic. Not all of it is focused trafic though, and that could lead to an abnormal bounce rate. But it's better than nothing though!

reichiru

Reaction score
Yeah, like ichwar said, just build up a site that you're interested in. It'll help if you make it more generic, so that it'll attract more people. If you do something too specific you might have a difficult time getting traffic and stuff. And the idea about affliating with other sites that get a large amount of traffic is a good one, I used to do that too when I was in the website-making business. I've dropped out of that though, I just don't have enough free time. You said that you were interested in volleyball, you could start up a site about that. I know lots of people who are volleyball fanatics, perhaps you can use that to your advantage. And if it's sports-related, it wouldn't hurt to mention the Olympics either ^^

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
yeah, if you do a volley ball site, I'll be there every day! I love volley ball. <3