Google analytics clone script pernitted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danielx386

Reaction score
Are we pernitted to use clone script like google analytics to record data about how people use my website? Is that called script hosting?

One example: http://www.tracewatch.com/

Thanks

BTY, I did read the TOS and it say that script hosting is not pernitted, but i'm (thinking of) using this as part of my site.

Thanks

Daniel

dito7967

Reaction score
You could probably use it on your own site and _only_ on your own site... If you were to use it on any other sites it might be questionable but I think you can run a script for that providing it's for your site only

Danielx386

Reaction score
^ Thanks, could someone get a account manager or some other admin to answer this, just don't want to get in a pot with hot water. (for breaking the rules)

ah-blabla

Reaction score
It isn't breaking the rules: scripts are allowed: all it say in the TOS:
We do not allow any type of bot or script that runs constantly, free hosting is for creating a website, not for hosting your scripts.
I.e. they don't want you t0 have automatically running scripts to do things like downloading files etc, but if it is a website script, it is fine. Programs such as Joomla, Drupal etc. are also commonly referred to as scripts, since they use a "scripting" language such as php.

The only thing you need to watch out for is resource usage of the analytics software, but that's only true if you have lots (i.e. LOTS) of visitors.

Other people here do use tools such as Piwik which is a FLOSS equivalent of Google Analytics which you can run on the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.