Google builds an empire to rival Microsoft!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FeestBijtje

Reaction score
Google's one-of-a-kind computer network gives it a chance to surpass Microsoft to become the most dominant company in tech, according to the author of a recently published book on the search giant.

Google already has plenty of influence. It handles nearly half of the world's Web searches. It's hiring some of the biggest names in the industry, from the controversial Kai-Fu Lee of Microsoft to the legendary Vint Cerf, an early Internet pioneer. And it has become such the topic du jour in Silicon Valley that its search for a new corporate chef warrants significant local news coverage.

But what's next? Author Stephen Arnold has closely analyzed Google patents, engineering documents and technology and has concluded that Google has a grand ambition--to push the information age off the desktop and onto the Internet. Google, he argues, is aiming to be the network computer platform for delivering so-called "virtual" applications, or software that allows a user to perform a task on any device with an Internet connection.

"Google is this era's transformational computing platform and could be about to unseat Microsoft from its throne," Arnold writes in a summary of his book, "The Google Legacy: How Google's Internet Search is Transforming Application Software," published this month.

For all of its wild success, about 99 percent of Google's revenue still comes from advertising, mostly from Internet keyword searches. Certainly, it has built on the core business, adding everything from the Gmail free Web-based e-mail service to Google Earth, a satellite mapping service. And it has plenty of cash to spend on new technology--nearly $7 billion in cash, $4 billion alone from a secondary stock offering on Sept. 14.

The big question, of course, is what exactly CEO Eric Schmidt & Co. plan to do with that war chest.

In his book, which is available in electronic PDF form only, Arnold concludes that Google has created a supercomputer ready to deliver a host of applications to anyone with a Web browser.

Read More at:
http://www.bleeding-eye.x10hosting.com/portal/index.php?section=news&cmd=details&newsid=7

Source
The Bleeding Eye Society

This is some serios discussion :)

Kurther Reich

Reaction score
Well honestly I'm not to suprised, I mean Google has slowly been transforming into one of the biggest tech companies. For instance I can guarentee that almost everyones homepage when they first go online is at google. Whenever I need to find something just go to google, I never even tried the microsofts version. Aside there search engine, gmail, everyone wants one, and it's the best email service out there. Microsoft outlook...uhhh, I dunno, not to great. Now they even have googletalk. There expanding, and not putting out junk. Although alot of my arguments were personal opinion, I'm sure at least someone agrees! I just think Microsoft isn't doing as good, there an older company, google is relatively new, and more ambitious.
-Reich

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
pffh

if you ask me, nissin brand ramen noodles are a big company
in fact, they're planning on doing a t.v. ad in outer space...

but yeah google is great. sure it invades my privacy but i dont mind

MicrotechXP

Reaction score
I do not think google will do well. It is just a compny that is a search enjin. That is all.

FeestBijtje

Reaction score
MicrotechXP said:
I do not think google will do well. It is just a compny that is a search enjin. That is all.
You're wrong.
Its a company with offers mail accounts with is more populair to hotmail and it has allot more handy things in its shell.
I dont know all of it but there are tons of features with google.

MicrotechXP

Reaction score
Also this news is wrong. Microsoft will rule Google is Microsoft Buys AOL. It is Microsoft that is building the empire!!!

n4tec

Reaction score
MicrotechXP said:
Also this news is wrong. Microsoft will rule Google is Microsoft Buys AOL. It is Microsoft that is building the empire!!!
if what you say is true why doesn't microsoft should concentrate on the future and develop a better OS than fight tooth and nail with Google.. And due to that also google is taking advantage of it and growing fast..

Last edited:

FeestBijtje

Reaction score
Google is most populair search engine milions of people uses it!
And Bill Gates Buys over his concurition*
Thats pathatic*

B

Brandon

Wee! In five years Google Windows XP! Google can not take over microsoft.

MicrotechXP

Reaction score
n4tec said:
MicrotechXP said:
if what you say is true why doesn't microsoft should concentrate on the future and develop a better OS than fight tooth and nail with Google.. And due to that also google is taking advantage of it and growing fast..
Microsoft is making a better windows. Can't you see Vista. It is going to have better security and more featues. That means they are re-writing the codes!!! :stupid:

n4tec

Reaction score
MicrotechXP said:
n4tec said:
MicrotechXP said:
Microsoft is making a better windows. Can't you see Vista. It is going to have better security and more featues. That means they are re-writing the codes!!! :stupid:

Let just wait for the final relase of MS Vista.. But i just see them trying to create a better web browser in regards to web standards are concern..

FeestBijtje

Reaction score
n4tec said:
MicrotechXP said:
n4tec said:
MicrotechXP said:

Let just wait for the final relase of MS Vista.. But i just see them trying to create a better web browser in regards to web standards are concern..

For the people who dont know a thing about vista windows.
Its the same bull**** as windows XP only they learnd a bit more how to confuse the costumers.

Here is the site: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx

TheJeffsta

Reaction score
I wonder if Google is ever going to produce an operating system to compete against Microsoft's Windows operating system.

They have:
-----------------
Web-Mail (gmail)
Web Search
Satalite images of earth (Google Earth)
Research

and they have a lot more.

MicrotechXP

Reaction score
TheJeffsta said:
I wonder if Google is ever going to produce an operating system to compete against Microsoft's Windows operating system.

They have:
-----------------
Web-Mail (gmail)
Web Search
Satalite images of earth (Google Earth)
Research

and they have a lot more.
I don't think they ever will and I hope not. Microsoft is the best and it would be hard to compeat. :roflwerd:

Also Microsoft's Windows Vista has better security in Beta 1. And it is the best thing they have made so far. :stupid: Just read PC Mag.

TheJeffsta

Reaction score
lol, gets himself banned!

Oh well, :stupid: i suppose that Windows Vista will be hard to compete against.

:gtfo: :bash:

FeestBijtje

Reaction score
TheJeffsta said:
lol, gets himself banned!

Oh well, :stupid: i suppose that Windows Vista will be hard to compete against.

:gtfo: :bash:

Microsoft promised Windows XP is more secure then windows 98...
Bad luck for them windows XP is the most vulnerble OS ever made.
Mac/OS-X has les seccurity failures but theyr stupid to detect a trojans horse from 1998 (They discovered it in november 2004) Note: Thats a 6 years old trojan!

Linux has allot of updates and quite much failures...
But they never got in the way for viruses and massive hackers attemts.

Good security is:
-Closed Ports (No useless or opened ports)
-Every thing up to date
-Hard to gues passwords.

Those are just 3 of the 30 :p

And yet aggain microsoft will proof them selves that THEY should make the kernel more dynamic so its harder to write viruses.
And use an alternative source for .dll libary's.
That should clear the most viruses for the 1st 6 month's

Last edited:

Matthews255

Reaction score
now, i think Google should stick to small apps and web developement and MS to operating systems and office type things.

Thats my two cents.

Anton

Reaction score
I think that google isnt in the same market Microsoft, even if google did take over, the google' moto is good or something like that...Microsoft will probably get owned by its competitors and stuff...It depends if google enters the market correctly, because if it doesnt terrible things will happen...Unless google and M$ meger to become...GoogleSoft :eek:wned:
I dont know but merging would be much better, if they compete they will destroy each other in the process...not like the HP and Compaq merging rofl that was such a mistake...

Jake

Developer
Contributors
Reaction score
google will not make a OS because they arnt stupid enough to, they stick to what they are good at, email and search... they are not competing in the OS race between linux, windows and mac they are just standing on the sidelines, maybe giving one a push or a shove at any given time...

but google will try to build an empire to rival others, i think microsoft is still too big for even google

oh and a google OS would be just plain crazy, it'd probobly be really bright colors and everything would have to do with searching *wink*

have you seen screenshots of Vista? it looks like XP over again with a bit of opacicy added into the mix.

Last edited:

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
dont look now, but google has just made google base
its a classified ad system, like ebay's 'buy it now' feature
they're really going to take over the world o.o

Status
Not open for further replies.