got another idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
I hope I can explain this. Ok with your account you get more than one subdomain, meaning you can run more than one forum ? If so, and you already have one forum up and running then I guess it would be possible to build a new forum, upgrade it, work on it, and get it running great; then use the backup copy from your first forum and update your new forum with all the posts and stuff from the old forum ....thats possible right ??? or not

Origin

Reaction score
You can do backups, and you can have addon domains

repusmod

Reaction score
OKay you can doit, here is the way how, go in your ftp program login, then transfer all your www folder on your pc, then go in your cpanel, mysql databases, phpmyadmin selcect the database that your forum use, then on top you will see a link "Extrate" click on, select all file in the database to extrate, choose zip option... Then you creat a sub folder in your www folder, extrate with your ftp program all what was in your www folder that you saved on your pc, then go in mysql database, phpmyadmin, unzip the zip of your database, load in and here you go you have another forum running with same stuff you have on first one, hope you understand my crappy english..

Origin

Reaction score
Or, create a diff database, use phpmysqladmin and COPY the tables over, upgrade it, and change the settings :D

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
Ok thanx for the info ppl. Thats cool. matbe I will check into this a bit more

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
Ok Im in my file manager and I just created another subdomain. it gives me a new folder. I checked the url and it seems to be up ....so is it safe to install a forum into here and it will show up on the new url right.

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
Ok I have another forum up on the new url that I talk about above. (The ads are already up) This is my theory : 2 small forums with 2 small databases are going to load faster for ppl the 1 big forum and 1 big database. So I figure if I can I will break up my forum into 2 small ones and have half on one and have on the other, the first original page being the main page and the second being the page were all the extra forums are. is this ok to do ?
I think it is but this is my plan if it ok.

maddude

overall phsyco
Reaction score
soz but that just lol aint gonna work dude for many reasons to copys of phpbb or ipb means double thier space and double the forums means double thier space so nah it dont work right :blink:

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
well I got phpbb 2.0.13 all modified on the first page and phpbb 2.0.13 on the second page with attachment mod install .....both on seperate databases and running reall good. If this doesn`t work thats cool to I can take down the second page. I don`t really imagine there will be alot of difference in space between having 2 forums or 1, but I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.