Hardest website creation part

What do you think is the hardest part in creating a website?

• Scripting the website

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Creating a layout

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • Getting people to visit

Votes: 25 44.6%
  • Getting a high ranking on search engines

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Thinking of a type of website to make

Votes: 13 23.2%

• Total voters

oiwio

Reaction score
While working on my first website, I got stuck alot and found alot of different things to be very hard. The hardest things I found were scripting php and javascript, getting high up in the search engines, making a layout, and just getting people to join my website (which can also be considered getting high up on the search engines).

So Im wondering, what do you guys think is the hardest part of creating a new website?

cstamper

Reaction score
Thinking of what to make.

Call me stupid, but (hey, did you just call me stupid? The nerve...) imo that's also one of the hardest parts of programming..

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I find getting people to visit very hard. I have two website, and neither of them get many visitors (My search engine ranking is increasing though, so I may get more visitors in the coming months.)

wolf693

Reaction score
Getting people to visit... I usually have a ton of patience for waiting but after 6 months and I only get an average of 8-10 people visiting a month, it drives me insane!

lordtron

Reaction score
Yeah I agree,
-First thinking of what the website will be about is the hardest...
-Then it comes down to the design of the website. Have to make sure its firefox/internet explorer/safari friendly or you will get complaints.
-Then getting it out to the world for people to check it out and want to come back to it.
Edit:
Getting people to visit... I usually have a ton of patience for waiting but after 6 months and I only get an average of 8-10 people visiting a month, it drives me insane!

You only get 8-10 people per month. Yeah that would drive me insane. I get around 1500-2000 people per month...thats not enough for me. I would like to get 5000+ per month. But I don't know how to really get that to happen.

-Sorry about the double post. I saw this guys post right after I posted my last one....

Last edited:

intenex

Reaction score
Definitely getting people to visit. This is somewhat related to all the other aspects of creating a (good) website, however, and I should think that it would come naturally if you had high scores in all other categories. Still, the initial publicity is probably hard. I've yet to personally try, as I've just begun to work on my site, but the problem has frustrated me before on other more amateur sites.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I think that first thinking of a site design/idea is the hardest idea of making a site. Coding the site, getting ranked high on the search engines, advertising, etc, despite them being time consuming are fairly easy, as pretty much the rest of the internet(s) will do it for you.

GamingX

Executive Team
Reaction score
Thinking of a topic on which to create a website is a huge task. Otherwise once the ideas start to flow in, everything becomes easier.

dwd2000

Reaction score
I don't start a website, unless I have an idea first.
I don't make websites for the sake of making them.
After the idea, I'm thinking about the function the site will perform.
Then "How to". I search the net for possible solutions.
I am more likely to use "boxed" applications, rather than trying to code from scratch. (I'm too old)
I try to test things on my PC with Wamp before using online.
The most time consuming part is tweaking the boxed apps, to fit my needs.
Layout is not much of a problem, because I usually use frames, with a side menu and a header, with a separate index before you get to the main site. All my keywords and stuff are on that page, with an "Enter Here" link to the main site.
I try to thoroughly test the site with a different computer, browser, video setup, and if possible, a different operating system. I then go back to make any changes I think I might need.
After the site is online and running, I'm searching the net again for possible free marketing possibilities. This is the hardest part. I don't depend on search engines. There are various banner exchange programs and stuff, but I don't want too many banners on the site. I also look for "link exchange" programs. I try to get what visitors that do show up to market the site via "word of mouth". Of course, they have to like the site first.

"Build it and they will come"...but when???

deadimp

Reaction score
For me the hardest part right now is thinking of a good layout. The current one I have (which could be seen if the stylesheets weren't broken) is about a year old now, and the backend to my system has matured to about the point where I can now focus more on refining it.

Topics for me weren't that hard. I've been meaning to publish a game/game engine I began writing a few years back and Thacmus is essentially the first step to that. I know I could have used another CMS, but developing my own is all part of a learning process, just like developing the game engine.

I'm not too worried about visitors because it, as I said, is a learning process for me in publishing software and all that. Plus, the project is kind of young and there's not a whole lot of content anywhere.

Last edited:

Calipe

Reaction score
Getting Traffic to your site is the most time consuming of all. You could have the most wonderful website on the Internet, but if you don't get traffic what good is it for? Hence, the importance of Search Engine Optimization.

wolf693

Reaction score
Yeah I agree,
-First thinking of what the website will be about is the hardest...
-Then it comes down to the design of the website. Have to make sure its firefox/internet explorer/safari friendly or you will get complaints.
-Then getting it out to the world for people to check it out and want to come back to it.
Edit:

You only get 8-10 people per month. Yeah that would drive me insane. I get around 1500-2000 people per month...thats not enough for me. I would like to get 5000+ per month. But I don't know how to really get that to happen.

-Sorry about the double post. I saw this guys post right after I posted my last one....

Yeah, my average now is around 950-1000 (But I'm reconstructing, so I'm at 0!)... That was my old site that I built when I was around 9-10 years old.

Last edited:

kkenny

Reaction score
The best I've ever gotten a site to is a steady stream of 300~900 users a day, it's really hard to get users, as the website is growing, and the "good" sites are getting harder to find.

Sohail

Reaction score
Getting people to visit is the easy part, you just need loads of advertising.
Thinking of what you should actually make would be the hardest part for me...
Because i need to know what i'm going to make before I actually do it and usually i would sit for hours, juts thinking of what to doo...

intenex

Reaction score
Damn, how did you guys ever manage something like 1000 per month or 500 a day? Seems impossible to me, lol. What are your sites on? I have something personal going for me, but just if in theory I began a site with a specific focus (such as a gaming site), how would I attract visitors?

Last edited:

FalseHope

Reaction score
Creating the layout and graphics has to be the hardest for me, I am gradually getting better with it though, as I practice more :) The code and advertising is not hard, at all. Depends what kind of website i am making i guess.

dwd2000

Reaction score
Search engines are only useful if someone is actually looking for your type of site. If you have an "ABC" type site, and no one is searching for that type of site, then the search engines are useless. You have to find a way to put the idea in people's heads that they should visit your site, even if they weren't planning to.

VPmase

Reaction score
Its close between creating the layout and getting people to visit.

David_Tiger

Reaction score
lol definetly getting people to visit the website lol advetising isn't cheap xD and just putting the website into your messenger PM dont get too many visitors