help with Dolphin

jamespro

Reaction score
I have the social networking script Dolphin on my free webhosting account and I am trying to get the music and video uploads to work. I am guessing its not working because of the php upload being set to 2MB is there anything I can do to fix this?

isnedd

Reaction score
Hi Jamespro,

You're asking an awful lot of free hosting to run a massive script like Dolphin, or rather, what Dolphin could become, if even remotely popular.

The only way I could see this working on free hosting would be to reduce your uploadable file limitations in accordance with the limits permitted by the free hosting package. I very much doubt that the Admins. will look too kindly on increasing file upload sizes, as every increased-size file uploaded, will then be available for download, with the bandwidth increases that would then follow.

For a script like Dolphin you need to be looking at the very least at a virtual server and preferably a dedicated server, if you are not to start incurring excess bandwidth charges on a regular basis.

HTH

Kind regards and good luck with your project

Ian

jamespro

Reaction score
I am planing on getting a paid hosting once the site takes off but for now I am just trying to get the site built and running. Once it gets going it should be able to pay for it self through ads and I will be able to pay for hosting.

diabolo

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
if you expect to pay for paid hosting, with the revenue generated from ads..I wouldn't count on it unless you have high number of visitors, since each ad click could get you prolly around 10 cents. I haven't clicked in a ad on purpose..since like...a month

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
if you expect to pay for paid hosting, with the revenue generated from ads..I wouldn't count on it unless you have high number of visitors, since each ad click could get you prolly around 10 cents. I haven't clicked in a ad on purpose..since like...a month

Quoted For Truth.

The other side of the coin is you risk getting suspended for high resource usage before you get anywhere NEAR the amount of visitors required to get the revenue from the ads.

Plus you'll want a buffer - if you come in short any month, unless Corey's feeling especially nice (possible, but I don't know what kind of arrangements he's in with the datacenter), you'll lose paid but still have a domain.

xprtweb

Reaction score
for now I am just trying to get the site built and running. Once it gets going it should be able to pay for it self through ads and I will be able to pay for hosting.
I have installed Dolphin here before for testing purposes & I had no problem at all. Regarding the files, since u are merely testing, why not make/use/get smaller custom-sized files for this stage?

Last edited:

iholla

Reaction score
My best solution to you is to install and test Dolphin on your developer machine. Your laptop or desktop. If you are new to this, then you shall need to install a web server environment on your home machine and tweak your dolphin script before uploading it.

It saves you bandwidth lost during the testing process plus you can edit out unnecessary modules in the script to make it lighter and more functional to your needs. I'd recommend editing out most background images too.

Otherwise, I agree that it is tad bit too hefty a script for a free web hosting account.