How can I add a free search feature to my website?

frankfriend

Reaction score
Hi,
Has anyone had experience of adding a free [open source or other] search feature / search engine to their own website, just to search your own site?

I could add Google Search, but it cost $100 per year [lowest rate].

Any practical experience or advice would be very helpful.
:drama::drama::drama:

frankfriend

Reaction score
Thanks Tittat,
I haven't tried google Ad search. I have one site which does not wany to have ads, which is the snag.

aquagirl

Reaction score
You can use Google engine search, even you have to index every single page by hand. there are some sites (yes you have to pay) that index for you automatically.
Sometimes, google's site 'spiders' might 'crawl' into your page to check out your content (some times the meta keyword tag) to see if you have any good contents and index by itself.

achumamman

Reaction score
well, if you can sign up for Adsense then you have an option for putting a CSE in your site which in turn give revenue to you, as the ads are displayed. visit the google adsense page. http://is.gd/HIMt

daman371

Reaction score
All of the above options look good to me. Personally I've just used PHP and MySQL to search through the database and display the results.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
Well this is good when all of your data is contained in a database, but when you have some semi-static, such as templates containing the content being dynamically loaded at runtime, you are better off using a spider to index all your site.

daman371

Reaction score
Well this is good when all of your data is contained in a database, but when you have some semi-static, such as templates containing the content being dynamically loaded at runtime, you are better off using a spider to index all your site.

True. I haven't made any real sites that aren't dynamic.