How can I use CSS to push stuff to the left side and look good in all resolutions?

poopix

Reaction score
I'm programming a forum, and I have everything done so far except the CSS.

To separate the topic titles, how many posts it has, and when the last post was, I used a span around each thing. Then, with CSS, I set each span's position to absolute, then used left: to move the spans to the left a certain percentage.

This looks good with my screen resolution, but when I change it to a smaller resolution it overlaps.

Should I not use spans to do this, and switch to tables? I've always been told to only use tables for tabular data, and forum posts and topics don't really seem like tabular data, so yeah... :shifty:

Hazirak

Reaction score
Re: How can I use CSS to push stuff to the left side and look good in all resolutions

From what it sounds like, there's a fairly simple solution:

Replace your possitions with widths set to percentages and float them to the left. If you need to possition the spans in a specific area, put the spans into a div tag and position the div tag.

Text should now wrap rather than overlap.

poopix

Reaction score
Re: How can I use CSS to push stuff to the left side and look good in all resolutions

:shifty: Whoops, I meant I need to push them to the right.

Anyways, I'll try doing what you said, thanks.

Hazirak

Reaction score

If you want to push them to the right, you should probably just be able to tell it float:right instead of left.

Then again, if the percentages add to 100, it shouldn't matter either way.