How do you make a textarea with a scrollbar?

Album

Reaction score
I copied this code from www.funky-chickens.com

<ilayer name="scroll1">
<div id="scroll3"
style="width:100;height:75;
background-color:blue;
overflow:auto">
<font face=verdana color=white>
you can use almost any kind of html in these textareas
</textarea></div>

It's supposed to have a scroll bar with it: http://www.funky-chickens.com/tarea.shtml

But when i put it on my site, it just filled the screen, and it wasnt in a small box with scrolls...

Can anyone please teach me how to make textareas that have scroll bars attached to them?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:

Album

Reaction score
Here's my website:

www.bumanga.x10hosting.com

Im having problems with the text area. (See the blue area on the left side of the screen)

I added the "sadfdsafgdsgasddfdsagfdsag" to illustrated how my text area does not use scrolls, instead it just expands the cell in the table.

How can I make it so the text area will have a scroll bar (vertical AND horizontal)?

ranereins

Reaction score
Try this:

<textarea cols="70" rows="3" name="textarea">Your content here</textarea>

With this code though, if you want the scrollbar to be a custom color, you need to use a CSS. You can also chance the width and height by changing the numbers (be careful though, this code doesn't use pixels for the size parameters).

And as far as I know you can't have a horizontal scroll bar on textareas... if you want something with that, try frames.

Last edited:

Album

Reaction score
ranereins said:
Try this:

<textarea cols="70" rows="3" name="textarea">Your content here</textarea>

With this code though, if you want the scrollbar to be a custom color, you need to use a CSS. You can also chance the width and height by changing the numbers (be careful though, this code doesn't use pixels for the size parameters).

And as far as I know you can't have a horizontal scroll bar on textareas... if you want something with that, try frames.

Yeah, that gave me a scrollbar for the text area, but it doesnt allow html to work inside the text area.

www.bumanga.x10hosting.com

ranereins

Reaction score
Well of course not... text areas are for text, not html code. (Text areas are most commonly used to display html code so that it can be copied.) If you want something where you can use html, use frames.

Album

Reaction score
i tried frames once, but right now I'm working on a template.
With frames, dont you have to have two pages in one or something like that?

So, I made this page for testing it:
http://www.bumanga.x10hosting.com/testing.html

How would i make it so that it would only be in the area on the left which currently is a bunch of gibberish and a small text area? (that section is a cell in a table)

Jim

Reaction score
It looks like he wants a div layer with scrollbars.
Try this
Code:
<div style="width: 400px; height: 100px; overflow:auto;">
Sample<br />Sample<br />Sample<br />Sample<br />Sample<br />
</div>