How to create Linux bootable cd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GamingX

Executive Team
Reaction score
You can download any Linux Live CD from the internet. Do you know which Linux distro you will be using?

adrenlinerush

Reaction score
distro's that i know have a live cd are gentoo, ubuntu, suse, knoppix, and dsl

why run a live cd? install it

the best distro is gentoo by far... however if your lazy and don't want to learn how to do the install by hand and all the configuration go for ubuntu/debian....

you won't be sorry if you take the time to install it and learn it!!!! just say goodbye to windows bloatware... and hello to rock solid reliable software...

the only software that I've found that there isn't a good equivelant under linux for is Autocad... well if you have sparc hardware you and run the unix binary version of it.... but x86 your SOL

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I believe you need to make a CD/request a CD before you can install it. Some Linux Distros like Ubuntu (depending on what ISO you downloaded) allow you to install while running the live OS off of the CD. Otherwise, if you need help burning an ISO to a CD and make it bootable, any recording software/open source software that can record ISOs/Window XP and Vista's burning software will do the work for you.

By the way, if you are going to download Ubuntu, if you are in the US, I recommend downloading from Gigenet (I've seen this host max out a T3 connection at my school when the net was at full speed there. I was once testing out the speed at school away from Speakeasy and Speedtest.net, and I was getting pretty much 4MB/s off of the net at school. At that speed, it would only take 3 minutes for me to download Ubuntu), or the Rochester Institute of Technology (also a very fast host).

Last edited:

Reaction score
I just <3 Linux Mint :D! It's great! Anyway, if yo want, you download the .iso, then burn to a cd, restart with the BIOS set to boot from cd, then it should run.

Status
Not open for further replies.