I bet x10

haqtiq

Reaction score
Makes a darned KILLING off the google ads masterfully placed EVERYWHERE, it's beautiful... free hosting, with the occasional click of 4 rows of google ads x maybe 100k people everyday = major cash.

Are you my daddy ?

Nathan H

Reaction score
Not as many people as one might think click on the ads, and don't forget x10hosting has 7/8 different servers to maintain, so even if they make money, theyll probably lose it just as fast.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
There's 8 servers to pay for. cPanel licensing. Power. Hardware. It's not cheap, running a free hosting company; and there's not much profit. The staff don't see it at any rate, we're all volunteers ;).

-Luke.

Nathan H

Reaction score
Hell, what little there profit there is normally seems to go into the Credit System where you can gain rewards from posting. (Currently unavailable). For another example, at last time that i know, there are just 10 people on one of the paid servers, Vox. (I'm one of them :D) this is a server just for VPS services. This is the reason so many sites get suspended if they don't have adverts. One thing that always scares me when i think about it, how much does an internet conncection cost, that has enough up/down stream to support the literally thousands of sites hosted here?

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
Makes a darned KILLING off the google ads masterfully placed EVERYWHERE, it's beautiful... free hosting, with the occasional click of 4 rows of google ads x maybe 100k people everyday = major cash.
It's not as much as you may think. Remember lots of people use ad blockers.

Are you my daddy ?
Errr ... No.

Nathan H

Reaction score
I believe this is the reference he is trying to make

I would of been but the dog beat me over the fence

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
One thing that always scares me when i think about it, how much does an internet conncection cost, that has enough up/down stream to support the literally thousands of sites hosted here?

Well let's see here. Most datacenters these days have 10Gbps+ worth of connections. Since the cheapest provider I know of that is out there is Cogent, who is a Tier 1 provider that does backbones and a lot of datacenters have as a provider, they sell fiber optic backbones for $7 a megabit in symmetrical. Now, seeing as though 1 Gigabit is 1,024 megabits, you can do the math. At $7 per megabit, times 10 would be around $71,680 per backbone a month. A one gigabit line which is what x10's servers each have from Cogent's pricing would be $7,168 a month, but since the line in the datacenter is shared amonst thousands of servers, x10 doesn't need to pay that much. Also don't forget, many datacenters don't have just one provider for a backbone. One datacenter, for example might use several providers such as Cogent, Verizon Business (Alter.net), Level3, TeliaSonera, or build their own backbone as well. This is for redundancy, so datacenters are spending a lot of money just to run your servers, not to mention the fact that all of the equipment in the datacenter is enterprise grade stuff that costs thousands of dollars.

Since x10 leases dedicated servers, they are paying roughly $300 a month per server, along with any upgrades/non-included repair to the server. This monthly fee comes with electricity, bandwidth, cooling, and datacenter support, along with some extras if anything. So x10 is making very little profit if anything.

Last edited:

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
Wrong! Our servers are $225/month, one is $299/month and i forget what the other one is ($269/month maybe?).

Last edited: