I'd be grateful for advice on how my site could be improved

school2soccer56

Reaction score
You website is very easy to navigate, its simple but very effective. I would suggest that you increase the font on the sidebar since it is very small. I had to squint my eyes to see it. I really like the theme of you website. :D

tonydakilla

Reaction score
I like your site. To me it is good as it is. Not to flashy, fast loading, and it's right to the point.

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
Your site is clean and simple and easy to navigate. Looks great.

I'm not sure how NetObjects works but I recommend trying to make your site in CSS rather than HTML Tables. Tableless designs usually look much more professional.

I notice your domain name is loading an x10hosting subdomain in a frame. I recommend directly using your domain name and hosting it with x10hosting instead of using a frame. It looks much more professional. Refer to this: http://x10hosting.com/wiki/How_to_Use_Your_Own_Domain

I agree with school2soccer56 about how the font size of the navigation menu should be a bit bigger.

Overall, great job. :)

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
NOF is what it is -- it's a WYSIWYG environment with a database back-end. It produces HTML that works (for now --see note* below), but that is essentially meaningless. (Note that in the source, there is no distinction between body text and headings, apart from the font markup and bold and underline tags.) Unlike some other, similarly-aimed environments (like the Domino web server component of Lotus Notes), there is no good way to manually alter the HTML created and continue to work on the project in Fusion.

The problem with the HTML that NOF creates isn't that it doesn't "look professional" (a good designer can make absolutely gorgeous pages in the editor), but that it is virtually inaccessible. That is, there are no cues to tell a user (or his/her assistive technology) what the various items on the web page mean. I can see this as a particular problem with a genealogical site, since it is usually the oldest and youngest members of the family that have the greatest interest in the history (the young are curious, the old are the curators of the family memory). Those family members who've found that their arms have gotten too short for comfortable reading (or who may be suffering from more severe forms of visual degeneration) can often benefit from a more structured web page. (That particularly applies to members who may rely on screen readers or Braille output.) It also applies to people who may have difficulty accurately using a mouse, and those folks live at both extremes of the age spectrum.

I'd be glad to help you restructure your pages if you'd like (no cost or obligation).

---------- Post added 09-03-2010 at 01:11 AM ---------- Previous post was 09-02-2010 at 08:05 PM ----------

Oops -- forgot the note I promised above. Many of the tags that NOF has generated are deprecated, and support for them will be dropped at some point in the future in browsers. It won't make the page unreadable, but it will render in the default font face and font size with no bold or underlining.

v4xde

Reaction score
Hi, why not put that guestbook and bog on the left menu.
v

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
I like it, but it looks a bit frontpagey, if you get what I mean.

~Callum

noster

Reaction score
v

Hi, Thanks for your comment. I tried putting the Guestbook and Blog on the left, but it interfered with the fly-out menus (which don't always seem to work), and they are direct links to other web pages, so different from the other Nav Bar which is built by NOF as I created the pages of the site.

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

v

Hi, Thanks for your comments.
I tried putting the Guestbook and Blog on the left, but they are direct links to other websites, rather than pages within my site, so they are on a separate Nav Bar, which gets interfered with when using fly-out menus (which don't always work, for some reason).

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

You website is very easy to navigate, its simple but very effective. I would suggest that you increase the font on the sidebar since it is very small. I had to squint my eyes to see it. I really like the theme of you website. :D

Hi, I have taken your comment to heart, and have increased the font on the Nav Bar. I will upload it soon, when I can get a link.

suprimoman29

Reaction score
I avoid iframes as if they were the plague. They are used a lot to inject malware onto passersby.
As for me, I use Sandboxie for all surfing, so any damage will be limited to the sandbox.

If a site has it's entire website in an iframe I won't see it because I block iframes.