Internet Explorer does it again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micro

Retired staff <i> (11-12-2008)</I>
Reaction score
I had to use IE for this download, as Firefox just crashed....

I am on 1mbit ps DSL, my router is connected at 2000kbits ps (Or there abouts -- kbits)...

I normally get a 120kbps download...

Today, i got 5.95mbytes per second... INSANE considering i should only get 120kbytes per second down, or at the max my routers connection speed (240 kbytes per second)...

Which means that for a period of 3 minutes i had an internet connection of 50mbps, which is unheard of in the UK, (At least in my city)...

What the hell?!

Attachments

• insaneLOL.JPG
    insaneLOL.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 126

Zenax

Reaction score
lol that is unheard of in the UK lol! I should know, i live there!

Rgamez

Reaction score
Could it be that some files in your registry as the use of firefox relies on the registry to be able to install the browser itself??

Rgamez

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
God man your fast... i only get 120 lol what router do you have..

Bazor

Reaction score
You think that's something look what happened on my DSL connection. I think it was 1.5 mbs download although it might of been lower at the time.

This was on firefox as you can tell from the IGN network. I think this was through fileplanet.

Yes the speed is over 10 mbs...

Insane ain't it?! :nuts:

Attachments

• FastDownload.PNG
    FastDownload.PNG
    31.1 KB · Views: 113

Micro

Reaction score
Hahahahaha yeh.

Derek, i've got a Netgear DG834G

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
My US robotics sucks! Took me months to get it to work!

Micro

Reaction score
Yep. Netgears are the way forward, i plugged mine in, entered my user/pass and away it was, connected to the net with no other problems.

Chris Z

Reaction score
well the first pic was, probably skinned, and the second one appeared to be firefox, and it was also skinned :p

Micro

Reaction score
Skinned?

I run the Windows Classic theme in XP. Reduces CPU load.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a quick note, I'm not entirely positive thats actually an attained speed.

From what I can see the speed displayed is more of an average over the past <insert time frame here>. Except that its also not based on the actual incoming speed, but rather on how much of the file was downloaded.

I'm only speculating that because it looks like both IE and FireFox begin downloading the document to a temporary folder BEFORE YOU TELL IT WHERE TO SAVE TO, to try and save time.

And because I let a 100mb saveas dialog stay open for 5 minutes and firefox was reporting the file was half done and I had apparently managed to get upwards of 50,000kb/sec, which is physically impossible - our internet line can't get to 50,000kb/sec, and all the while I was watching my traffic monitor which was reporting a steady 180kb/sec.

If its an average based over X seconds, and its basing how fast somethings downloading off of the partially completed file, thatd explain the problem. The longer you take to enter in information in the saveas dialog and the more gets downloaded, the faster its going to seem like it went until the time-frame catches up (if X = 10, it'll take 10 seconds for the inaccurate speed to get completely wiped and be back to the RIGHT speed)...

I might not be right but that is what seems to be happening.

Cubeform

Reaction score
Just a quick note, I'm not entirely positive thats actually an attained speed.

[...]

I'm only speculating that because it looks like both IE and FireFox begin downloading the document to a temporary folder BEFORE YOU TELL IT WHERE TO SAVE TO, to try and save time.

I might not be right but that is what seems to be happening.

You're right. Probably every browser does that. I remember hearing somewhere that they download the file before you tell the browser where to save it (why wouldn't they? It's only logical). I can't give you a source but I'm positive it does that.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
That explains the false download speed reporting when you start the file then...

Now if it popped up in the middle of the file I'd be freaked :S

Status
Not open for further replies.