is there a bug in msn messenger v7.0

stealth_thunder

Reaction score
hi,

I been using msn messenger v7.0 for 3 days and I facing some problems, I wonder if this is a bug.

when u send a file to your friend a message saying that " antivirus is not yet updated there for your file that is being sent is removed as it maybe a unknow virus " something like this message.

has anyone face this, is there anyway to solve beside waiting for a new msn messenger v7.0 build XXXX

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
I have been running msn 7 now for awhile and I have sent alot of files across it ...What type of files are you sending ? Are they in Zip format or are they .exe files. Some programs wont let you upload exe files cause they think they are viruses. I have not heard this on msn though yet.

stealth_thunder

Reaction score
hi bigguy,

I send a I created an installer.exe containing information on how to solve a problem for my friends but msn 7.0 auto cancelled when I sent it to my friend. I asked my friend to try sending me something she told me that its is impossible.She also facing the same problem as me while she sent images files to her friends. Is there any solution.

tsj5j

Reaction score
You mean you found the solution to this forum, and it requires the file installer.exe?

If it is this simple, try sending the file using Yahoo! Mail or Hotmail, but not Gmail.
Honestly, I have not encountered such a problem before.

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
try to zip the file you are sending ...if that doesn`t work ..(or have you tried it) I`ll check things out see if I can find a fix for ya.

Matthews255

Reaction score
i cant send my created mp3s i do for my effects at school on msn so i just zip them up. And the same with .exe's.

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
Try to zip them and see if that works ...another option is to go into your tools menu under options and find "file transfer" take the check mark off "scan files for viruses using"....
This might help ...still searchin :)

EDIT: Also try the new file transfer protocol in the advanced preferences, it may help.

coinoperated_kid

Reaction score
If you're still having problems use email and/or an another instant messenger to solve your problem.

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
Well that would sort of solve the problem ...but they would still not be able to use mesenger to do this.

stealth_thunder

Reaction score
coinoperated_kid thanks for your suggestion but bigguy is right I would not be able to use messenger. I decided to send a report on msn bug.thanks people for trying to solve out but the best solution is to send to msn messenger technical which would take a long time to get back to me.

Cycloneflame

Reaction score
Well, the BETA version was rather buggy, I admin, but there aren't so many inthe Proper release.

Biggie

Reaction score
tsj5j said:
You mean you found the solution to this forum, and it requires the file installer.exe?

If it is this simple, try sending the file using Yahoo! Mail or Hotmail, but not Gmail.
Honestly, I have not encountered such a problem before.

Why shouldn't you send it through Gmail?

izmaelis

Reaction score
Biggie said:
...Why shouldn't you send it through Gmail?...
Cause it is not allowed to send executable files throughout Gmail (even if they are compressed). It is not allowed to send mp3s or oggs too. Maybe there are more "not supported" files types...

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
izmaelis said:
Biggie said:
...Why shouldn't you send it through Gmail?...
Cause it is not allowed to send executable files throughout Gmail (even if they are compressed). It is not allowed to send mp3s or oggs too. Maybe there are more "not supported" files types...

I have sent and actually do have in my gmail account right now some exe files and some zip files. There is a program ...or I should say an add on to gmail called "gmail drive" it gives you an extra hard drive under "My computer" on your system so all you have to do to upload a file to your gmail account is drag and drop onto the new drive and boom its uploaded to gmail. Then you can access it from any computer on the internet. You might need "gmail drive" on the other computer as well to access your files accross the internet but it works good. :grin:

CHECK THIS OUT

CheetahShrk

Reaction score
Just to tell you the error your getting in msn messenger 7.0 is not the program itself, its some sort of anti virus program running on your computer which probably doesn't have updated information to hook the file transfer in 7.0, you can turn it off in the options > file transfer.

stealth_thunder

Reaction score
one very weird thing is that, after I installed the new version 7.0.814 replaceing the 7.0.777 its problem is being solved thanks guys for your help and explanation, all my friends have updated their msn messenger to the latest build version.

thanks again to those who have reply with solution and suggestion :grin:

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
stealth_thunder said:
one very weird thing is that, after I installed the new version 7.0.814 replaceing the 7.0.777 its problem is being solved thanks guys for your help and explanation, all my friends have updated their msn messenger to the latest build version.

thanks again to those who have reply with solution and suggestion :grin:

Your very welcome, I`m glad the problem is solved :happy:

katyW

Reaction score
this won't help in Messenger but it will help you send files on your Hotmail account if that helps. I have found that a lot of files I get will be "automaticaly removed by Hotmail." I hate that message but I have found a way around it. I click "forward" and the removed files show back up on the supposedly forward post and I can click and open them. Then close unless I really do want to forward them.

Katy:cat:

gauravmm

Reaction score
An easier solution is to rename the file to "installer.exe-" or something

NewFuture

Reaction score
msn 7 blocks .exe transfers for your safety, just .zip them

Last edited: