learn php

1erik1

Reaction score
hi I want to learn how to use php.

whats the best site/place to learn it? I understand html and some css, not javascript.

Thanks, Erik

diabolo

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
w3schools
and tigzag
also php.net is good for looking up the synthax of a specific code

sunils

Reaction score
download php for dummies for basic php scripting, or go in for some intermediate php books which cover most of the basic parts

bonzo meier

Reaction score
if you go looking for books, too: check "Web Database Applications with PHP and mySQL" by Hugh E. Williams and David Lane, 2nd Edition, O´Reilly Media Inc.

It contains all one might need - good luck with your studies.

peace, bonzo

joeychua

Reaction score
You could start by reading the php documentation. The documentation itself contains a tutorial. After finishing the tutorial, you should be able to understand the rest of the manual and understand the examples in it. You could skip chapter 2 if you don't have plans on setting up you own server.

In case you want to set up your own server, you need to download the ff:
- Apache - web server
- PHP - hypertext preprocessor to be used with apache
- MySQL - (optional) database server. Most likely would need it later.
You can download them separately or use a package called xampp. http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

The php documentation can be read online or download it for offline reading at http://www.php.net/docs.php

After learning php, you could start learning SQL, a language used in MySQL. Learning MySQL is essential since most php applications use it.

konekt

Reaction score
Three of the best php information sources on the web are w3schools, php.net,
and tigzag. I still refer to tigzag's tutorials from time to time.

When it comes to actually learning from the tutorials, what I would recommend you do is start coding practice programs that interest you but incorporate your php knowledge. Here are some ideas:
-Make a sign-in system with cookies and sessions
-Make shoutboxes
-Make some basic unit conversion programs
-Make some fun text generators
-Make a poker game
-Finally, make a website

This way you are learning the language but not being bored with the monotony because you are creating stuff that is partly useful.

timur

Reaction score
I'm learning PHP too, w3schools has been really handy, and if your lazy like me and don't want to install all the programs mentioned above, just make a blahblah.php in your web space, and edit it from there, you can learn the basics really quick, while following the w3schools php guide. http://www.w3schools.com/php/default.asp

Also if you have any high level programming experience, c, java, pascal, C++, and so on then php will be a lot easier to pick up, from my experience anyway that what I found.