Lets Settle This Once and For All, What Came first the chicken or the egg?

aynotes

Reaction score
For centuries people have posed this question and have been unsuccessful in answering it. Lets try and finish this debate.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
The chicken. If evolution itself is correct and the chicken did evolve from something else, it had to come by and lay the egg some time or another to start mass producing.

GG-Xtreme

Reaction score
I'd have to say the chicken as well. Although it wouldn't really be considered a chicken, evolved from some asexual multi-celled organism...I'm not really sure, as I haven't learned the part of evolution that deals with how sexual organisms came to be.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
The Egg; You have the egg for breakfast and the chicken for lunch.

Serious:
I think the Chicken came first. However the egg (Not chicken eggs) has probably been around before chickens, but there has to be a chicken in order for there to be chicken eggs.

cowctcat

Reaction score
through the process of evolution non chickens would be reproducing and making animals closer and closer to the chicken. Then asuming the verry nea chickens laid eggs, they laid an egg that produced the chicken we know. so the real question is do you clasify an egg by the layer in which case it is a near chicken egg and the chicken came first. or by what comes out of it where it is a chicken egg and the egg came first. I would say therefore that the egg came first.

by the way i felt like this belonged in crossfire

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
The question didn't specify WHICH egg, so the (dinosaur) egg came first. :biggrin:

I have to agree with the chicken coming first though - there has to be a chicken to lay an egg.

Last edited:

Wizet

Reaction score
The question didn't specify WHICH egg, so the (dinosaur) egg came first. :biggrin:

I have to agree with the chicken coming first though - there has to be a chicken to lay an egg.

I do agree with your first point there *giggles*. Seriously on the second point if there was a chicken to lay an egg then where did the chicken come from? This is what this thread is all about anyways.

kirtik

Reaction score
I do agree with your first point there *giggles*. Seriously on the second point if there was a chicken to lay an egg then where did the chicken come from? This is what this thread is all about anyways.
The first chicken came from the egg. A creature very much like a chicken, but not a chicken, laid the egg, the dna of which mutated and... out hatched the chicken.

So, to answer your question, the first chicken egg was not laid by a chicken. Hope that helps :lol:

Last edited:

MadameSkylark

Reaction score
People have been successful in answering it before...

Anyway, there are two possible schools of thought, dependent entirely on the answer to one question. What is a chicken egg?

Is a chicken egg an egg laid by a chicken, or is it an egg from which a chicken comes out of. If a chicken laid an egg and a toad came out of it, would it be a chicken egg or a toad egg?

Answer that, and you've got the answer to the which came first question.

If a chicken egg is an egg laid by a chicken, then the chicken came first because the egg from which the first chicken was born was actually NOT a chicken egg, but a almost-but-not-quite-chicken egg.

If a chicken egg is an egg from which a chicken comes out, then the egg came first, because the first chicken had to come AFTER the first chicken egg.

/thread.

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
I figure the chicken, but this simple thread won't ever "settle this once and for all"

kirtik

Reaction score
People have been successful in answering it before...

Anyway, there are two possible schools of thought, dependent entirely on the answer to one question. What is a chicken egg?

Is a chicken egg an egg laid by a chicken, or is it an egg from which a chicken comes out of. If a chicken laid an egg and a toad came out of it, would it be a chicken egg or a toad egg?

Answer that, and you've got the answer to the which came first question.

If a chicken egg is an egg laid by a chicken, then the chicken came first because the egg from which the first chicken was born was actually NOT a chicken egg, but a almost-but-not-quite-chicken egg.

If a chicken egg is an egg from which a chicken comes out, then the egg came first, because the first chicken had to come AFTER the first chicken egg.

/thread.
A chicken egg is an egg from which a chicken hatches. The other possibility you post about is a chicken's egg. ;p

MadameSkylark

Reaction score
I disagree. If you look at an egg in the store, and it came from a chicken, you call it a chicken egg. It doesn't matter what comes out of it. It matters what it came out of. That 's doesn't change the meaning of the word. If it comes from a chicken, it's a chicken egg. The female human's ovaries are not full of "human eggs" because humans come out of them...they are still called Human Egg Cells even if NOTHING comes out of them. Same with a chicken.

hermitobserver

Reaction score
i think you are all wrong... i think the chicken was an ancient bird that evolved... just like the lizards from dinosaurs. So it was more like what came first the ancient bird or the ancient bird egg. Not chickens.

warlordste

Reaction score
right this questions bin around for a realli long time u wanna no what came 1st it was both of em so there sloved :p

wolfy67

Reaction score
The egg came first. It may not have been laid by a chicken, but the resulting offspring was a chicken...a mutated form of its parent.

The mutant egg came first. The chicken hatched from it.

GG-Xtreme

Reaction score
The person who brought up the 'unspecified type of egg' actually made me change my mind. I believe the egg came first, because the chicken-like creature that would later evolve into a chicken was laying eggs before it could be considered a chicken.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
According to the bible, the chicken came first.

I personally don't know (or care). I think it is impossible to answer, because of evolution.

MadameSkylark

Reaction score
i think you are all wrong... i think the chicken was an ancient bird that evolved... just like the lizards from dinosaurs. So it was more like what came first the ancient bird or the ancient bird egg. Not chickens.

...The discussion is ABOUT chickens, not just eggs in general. Sure, if we wanted to talk about the beginning of birds in general, we would have to go that far back. But this is about chickens.

Evolution wouldn't make the question impossible to answer. It just depends on whether you think a chicken egg is the egg that a chicken comes out of or an egg laid by a chicken.

Zdroyd

Reaction score
Technically: Neather... The "Chicken" that we know today is nothing but an evolved version of another bird.

So the "Bird" came first.

Unless your Religious then "God" came first.

Last edited: