Linux GUIDE

manzoor

Reaction score
I want to install Slackware distro in my pc with WINDOWS XP SP2

I want to format all my data and create new partition but I dont know how to ( I ONLY KNOW HOW TO FORMAT )

Can any one tell me a guide or tutorial which will help me install slackware with xp ( I know how to install xp alone ;) ) and tell me how to create a dual boot.

So if one you can find a guide or tutorial for me about creatin new partition and install xp sp2 and slackware and create a dual boot then I'll donate you 150 credits :biggrin:

HomerJ

Reaction score
I don't know about Slackware too much. But, if it has a utility to resize your windows partition on the install CD, use that. If not, use a liveCD like the GParted livecd or knoppix. Start Gparted or QtParted (they are the same, you can use any similar software, or parted from the CLI. However, I would recommend these). Shrink your Windows filesystem and partition (should be as easy as click and drag in parted).

Then, boot your Slackware install CD and create the partitions and filesystems for linux. Most linux distribution's installers guide you through this, I don't know if Slackware does. If not, you can generally just create one formatted with ext3 (or whatever filesystem you want) for / and one for swap (size should be roughly twice as much as your system's RAM, but this only a guideline). You may optionally want another one for /home. This is where any personal work and data goes, so it should be fairly large. Many people use a small partition for /boot, although this probably isn't really necessary.

Then, continue installing. It should be as simple as following the prompts. At the bootloader configuration, make sure it is set up to boot Windows as well as Slackware, or else you will have to do some (fairly easy) post-install configuration.

Of course, I am a Gentoo user, so I don't have much experience with automated installers. Gentoo installs manually.

manzoor

Reaction score
Homer: I haven't yet used its LiveCD
supajason: thanks for the dual boot guide
you have your 50 credits

Insanenight

Reaction score
Homer: I haven't yet used its LiveCD
supajason: thanks for the dual boot guide
you have your 50 credits

hey this is just an advice if you dont know how to use or how linux work dont try slackware cuz u going to hate it, its one of the hardest distro to install and use since its most of it text based, i had dual booting many distro and a good start is ubuntu, xubunto or something easy and with active forums.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

and how to dual boot?

http://www.google.com :drool:

Also you could http://gparted.sourceforge.net/ it helps you separate your partitions and let you decide how much you want to give to each system, most of the times linux just need 10gb to b install.

manzoor

Reaction score
I like to tackle difficult things :)

There's a saying in the community; "If you learn RedHat, you learn RedHat, if you learn Slackware, you learn Linux"

so thanks for giving me advice but I aint gonna change my decision

you have your credits sent :)

Insanenight

Reaction score
I like to tackle difficult things :)

There's a saying in the community; "If you learn RedHat, you learn RedHat, if you learn Slackware, you learn Linux"

so thanks for giving me advice but I aint gonna change my decision

you have your credits sent :)

:-D good luck and have fun!