Microsoft is planning to launch security services

stealth_thunder

Reaction score
Would you use a security solution signed by Microsoft?
Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The only thing we know about Microsoft's security service is that the testing is being carried out by the company's employees. 

Microsoft's involvement on the market of PC security and maintenance is not a surprise, considering that in 2002, Bill Gates introduced the concept of trustworthy computing. 

The company from Redmond has acquired several companies specialized in the production of antiviruses and firewall programs, among which GeCAD and Sybari. 

Windows OneCare wants to be more than a security solution, and it seems Microsoft is planning to offer a product that resembles Symantec's Norton System Works. Many think it will be difficult to convince the users that a newly launched product based on technologies developed by other companies can be better than a product of a producer with a lot of history in this domain. 

To make users switch to Windows OneCare, Microsoft will have to deal with the image of a company famous for the countless security breaches. 

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware, a product designed to protect users from malicious codes, wasn't a big success either and didn't rise to the level of solutions like AdAware or Spybot. 

Another problem faced by Windows OneCare and implicitly Microsoft in its attempt to become the doctor of PCs is related to prices. To promote its product, Microsoft will be forced to offer smaller prices than the competition or even free versions. Otherwise, the company will be just like a hardware producer that offers you a PC, and then forces you to rent from him the mouse and the keyboard, his components being the only ones compatible with what you have bought. 

If Symantec or McAffee are capable of dealing with the price competition, Windows OneCare has all the chances of becoming a disaster for small and medium enterprises whose activity domain is the maintenance of Microsoft's operating systems. 

Microsoft's strategy to promote its product is still uncertain, but its success depends entirely on the users. 
In conclusion, let me ask you this: Would you use a security solution signed by Microsoft?

Website taken:
Code:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-is-planning-to-launch-security-services-1915.shtml

My Answer (sorry for bad english)
=========================
Yes i will, I wanna see what type of products they going to make a laughing stock of themselves on, the firewall is not even standard, I have to replace that with outpost firewall to get the top security, I have to use nod32 as my main antivirus both of these is enough to reach the maximum level of security. What will their next product be I shall wait and see

izmaelis

Reaction score
If you are talking about how bad Windows XP SP2 firewall is you are quite right. But I think that it's better to have a default firewall on your PC then to have no firewall at all. You can disable it before/after you installed a better, more valuable one.

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
Its always good to leave it up, Sp2 firewall I mean. The more protection the better. I run Mcafee 8 firewall and anti-virus, plus Sp2 firewall and a whole lot of anti-spyware programs. I`m going to be building hardware firewall soon, its an idea I have been thinkng of for awhile. then I know I`m protected.

stealth_thunder

Reaction score
wow bigguy......

that's a bit too much for a security, its like ten thousand army blocking your internet connections :innocent: .....

But seriously speaking I do the same way as you and but without sp2 firewall on, I shut it down, because i dun wish outpost to fight with sp2 firewall for who will protect my pc from intrusion, adware a good spyware destroyer and blocker, Nod32 an antivirus which is beyond any antivirus standard.

Then there is this automatically update for security patches, that one i hate it so much, it seems like microsoft have an never ending of security patches to waste our time downloading them, or automatically download them and asking us to install it now or later now or later and this continues as long as you dun click on install now it just keep appearing the irriating box.

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
Well you can never be to safe I always say, and I haven`t even named off my list of anti-spyware programs I use. LOL

Then there is this automatically update for security patches, that one i hate it so much, it seems like microsoft have an never ending of security patches to waste our time downloading them

Everybody hates those updates, I think I said the same as you on my site the other day.