Microsoft promises secure Windows PCs

stealth_thunder

Reaction score
Microsoft promises secure Windows PCs

By Wolfgang Gruener, Senior Editor

May 13, 2005 - 13:04 EST

Redmond (WA) - Microsoft will offer a new service that will protect Windows PCs from external attacks and offer maintenance as well as performance tuning in one package. Windows OneCare is currently tested by Microsoft employees, will be offered as broad public beta software thereafter and go commercial later this year.

Microsoft's recent acquisitions of anti-spyware and anti-virus technologies are beginning to make sense in the firm's long-term security strategy. "The dynamic nature of the Internet and technology can make the protection, maintenance and optimal performance of PCs a challenge for consumers. Keeping a PC healthy today can be daunting and time-consuming for the average user," the company said in an announcement on Friday.

Later this year, Microsoft will launch a subscription service, named Windows OneCare that will provide automatically updated anti-virus, anti-spyware and two-way firewall protection on the security side. "Performance and reliability" tools that automatically run periodic maintenance tasks such as disk cleanup, hard-drive defragmentation and file repair are included as well. According to Microsoft, there is also a backup capability.

Microsoft did not say if and how much it will charge for the service. Users however should expect that Microsoft will put a price tag on security that will match similar services, provided for example by McAfee or Symantec. Typical anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall services are priced between $20 and $40 per year.

A public and free beta of the software will be released after internal testing is completed, the firm said. The commercial software is scheduled to launch later this year.

website taken :
Code:
http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050513_130441.html

What they up to now, they trying to stop us from using security component and use their, haven they create the trouble enough after what they have done to windows xp service pack 2 with some crappy security shields that keeps popping out on denied access to activex control and others crappy scripts disable here and there this sucks seriously they done so much in words but less in action over the pass few years they keep saying the same old thing they dun get bored because they receiving our money in their pockets but wht about us, we are humans we get bored too you know, microsoft dun realised that seriously do not realised what they trying to do only to create more troublesome problems for us to brainstorm to change it or program something to prevent this and that...

my personal views - they just want our money and has no pride in their products so whatever created is crap but the are the cheapest operating system that can say average to my needs

NiMrOd

Reaction score
Of course it would cost money, everything microsoft costs money. Thats how they rip you off and stealth_thunder you may need to practice your spelling skills.

Bryon

I Fix Things
Reaction score
Secure/Safety, and Microsoft should never go in the same sentence.:pinch:

vondruska

Reaction score
Very true NedreN, they don't deserve to be in the same sentence. But its Microsoft trying to get rid of that image, and win over the people who don't understand everything about computers.

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
I think the first security project MS did good on was Microsoft anti-spyware. It was a good move for them to buy out Giant ( I think thats who they bought out). I was impressed with that product. Lets see how they do on this on.

stealth_thunder

Reaction score
I think their windows firewall is not created very very good there's an artical about holes in it, I bet their antivirus gonna be the same, they never been in this line of solving virus as a security, they just keep building patches to secure their internet explorer.

so they will fail to do so, but people who do not care much just use them and when something happen to their computer like a virus activated and microsoft antivirus unable to solve their things will get very very messy.

izmaelis

Reaction score
NedreN said:
Secure/Safety, and Microsoft should never go in the same sentence.:pinch:
I think that you are not quite right. I would say that Security/Safety and dumb user should nver go in the same sentence.
Every system is secure if you administer good enough.

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
Security and microsoft ? Well I can see up sides and down sides to this. More security but also more patches and fixes for windows and there products again. It seems like thats all we ever do is update. Thats what I dont like. They should make it stable BEFORE they bring anything out