Microsoft Visual Studio .NET

merrillmck

Reaction score
Does anyone make their website, or apps on their website, using MS Visual Studio .NET?

My background is application programming that had nothing to do with webpages. So I'm completely lacking in skills like php, javascript, css, etc. It seems like Visual Studio has made it so I don't need to learn additional languages to create webpages. I can either Publish a ClickOnce application to the website and they'll generate the .aspx files. Or I can make .aspx webpages using their design tool which is very similar to coding in C# or VB.

So does anyone have any advice for someone about to go headfirst down this path? Has anyone gone down this path and abandoned it b/c they couldn't do something they wanted for their website using MS VS .NET? Thanks for any advice.

(I'm currently programming in MS VS .NET 2005 in C#.)

(My post is related to some of the responses given in another thread http://forums.x10hosting.com/progra...im-trying-decided-wether-use-asp-net-php.html )

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
I can't really think of much to add :p

At this point I don't think either way will be better or worse for you. ASP.NET, though similar in many ways to C#, has many many different conventions.

xadrieth

Reaction score
If your going to make a website with ASP.NET (.aspx) I would suggest heading to this page and download their MS Visual Web developer '08 and try it out.

I would also suggest picking up a book on creating an ASP.NET websites using C#, just don't go for the dummies book ASP.NET, it uses VB.NET.