Moral questions discussion thread

wonkothesane

Reaction score
Hey there!
This is a great forum with a great community and I thought I'd add something that could lead to some great discussions.
What I basically plan to do is ask a question in this topic and I want you to discuss it. Simple? NO! Because you have to also include WHY you say what you say.

OK, first question!:

1. Is there or isn't there a God? (be it christian, muslim or jewish. This isn't a place to flame others for their religion just to discuss your own opinions with others and possibly where u try and convince them)

wonkothesane

Reaction score
Ok, i'll start off the topic question.:cat:
I believe there must be some kind of God or supernatural force because science does not give an answer for the creation of the universe that is valid enough for me. Because though the big bang might have taken place, nothing can be created from nothing and the bigbang is said to have originated from a single atom or mass (the way I understand it). My question is what created the mass and conditions so that a big-bang could take place, science has yet to answer that question for me.

Big Bang theory explained: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang

:homestar:

Last edited:
N

Nathan

Don't double post.

I find no evidence to support the actual exsitence of a God, and if there was a god, which there isn't, why would he care about some measley planet in the western arm of the spiral galaxy known as the Milky Way?

limelight

Reaction score
Dewayne said:
Don't double post.

I find no evidence to support the actual exsitence of a God, and if there was a god, which there isn't, why would he care about some measley planet in the western arm of the spiral galaxy known as the Milky Way?

Because we may be the only planet with life on it.

N

Nathan

limelight said:
Dewayne said:
Don't double post.

may

Right, if he created the universe and Earth, stars and what-not. Why couldn't he populate his creation? A little planet with a population in the billions is not going to fill up the Solar System nor Galaxy, must less the vacant area of the Universe.

limelight

Reaction score
Dewayne said:
limelight said:
Dewayne said:
Don't double post.

may

Right, if he created the universe and Earth, stars and what-not. Why couldn't he populate his creation? A little planet with a population in the billions is not going to fill up the Solar System nor Galaxy, must less the vacant area of the Universe.

He got lazy. I dunno.

I don't really believe that there is a god anyways.

N

Nathan

limelight said:
Dewayne said:
limelight said:
Dewayne said:
Don't double post.

may

He got lazy. I dunno.

I don't really believe that there is a god anyways.

You just earned some respect in my book. I'm an Atheist too.

wonkothesane

Reaction score
Respect because he's an atheist? Should he earn respect for his reasoning alone? (lolz maybe that's just my own reasoning)

Well you've both personified God much like a person with feelings, I'm not all to certain you could completely look at it in that way without thinking of other human aspects (we are said to be created in his image, right). They say that God has a plan for everything and everyone, he would care for earth though small in the same way a mother would care for a child (even if the child is small) because the earth is his creation (if he exists).

Personally I am not an atheist because an atheist is someone who BELIEVES that there is no god. I just don't know but it's an interesting thing to discuss :).

Dewayne said:

Who says he couldn't? Do we have irrefutable proof that there is no other life in the galaxy? And who knows, maybe mankind is destined to populate the vast reaches of space!

komodolinux

Reaction score
well faith is a matter beyond proof.

so it says in the bible.

i believe there is life out there.

absence of evidence cant be construed as proof of nonexistence. it is merely proof that evidence hasnt been found.

wonkothesane

Reaction score
Quite true komodolinux, though i know of no (scientifical) evidence that God exists, that does not mean that there is no God.

Also you mention the bible, some people say that the bible is proof enough for the existence of God. Another question I want to raise is 'How valid is the bible exactly?'. I believe that it is extremely subjective in many aspects and can't possibly give a completely objective view on history at all. Genesis is described in lamen's terms and science shows that there is a creation process that spanned over millions of years... not 7 days. Though if u take a broader perspective and you don't look at it litterally, you might see some similarities to what is described in genisis and how we think the world originated today.

MicrotechXP

Reaction score
I am a CHristian and I think there is a god that is watching over all of us at all times!

Iceman

Reaction score
I myself have been brought up as a Christian, but I do recognize the flaws in the system.
I can also see unexplainable flaws in theories.

For example, the Big Bang. A mass does not just explode after sitting idle for that many years, there has to be some sort of intervention by something to set off that explosion. The only conclusion I can come to is that there had to be some sort of a higher power, and all notable scientists cannot defeat this argument as there has been no accepted theory of how the Big Bang started.

I also believe there is a 100% chance of there being life, whether past or present, on other planets, and I believe the odds are also very high that there was any form of intelligent life.

I'm not much of a scientist, but I do know quite a bit about the subject. Given that all a planet needs to thrive is an assortion of comets or meteors containing elements (not that rare), and a correct position from the sun. Given that there are very literally millions upon millions of planets in the Universe, always growing, I think it's entirely too ignorant to believe that we are the only planet ever to possess life.

wonkothesane

Reaction score
I agree with Iceman. I have the same view on the BigBang theory and also believe that there must be life "out there".

@ komodolinux: Well, that's not completely true. In future generations we really might be able to prove things one way or the other, who knows? We could populate every single habitable planet and show there is or isn't any life. And we may someday gain unprecedented insight on the working of the universe and scientifically prove the existence of God. Never say never.

NewFuture

Reaction score
scientists can trace back looking through red shift to that the universe was sarted in one position this is evidence for the big bang, though there is no evidence what happend before the matter caused by the big bang was thrown out createing the universe, galxys planets ect.. so something must have started the big bang off but scientists cannot find this, i hope there is a god, we as humans have to have faith for us to continue living, we have to see life having a purpose or meaning, if not people would not continue with the suffering of life

komodolinux

Reaction score
ah but there might be life on the planets we cant inhabit.

life doesnt have to be carbon-based.

wonkothesane

Reaction score
It does not? Didn't know that, will look it up.

Btw, you guys have any Ideas for a new question for this topic?

komodolinux

Reaction score
of course life technically doesnt have to be carbon based.

but would we know non-carbon-based life as life if we came across it?

for all we know there could be life around us that we arent atuned in any way to detect and probably never will unless we change outlooks and detection techniques.

limelight

Reaction score
I guess there is 3 levels of faith. Useing something from a episode of the Simpson. (the angel one)

Ned = All out religious. No belief in science.

Marge = Believes in science, but says "You have to have a little faith"

Lisa = Completely disbelieves in God. Questions existience.

Which one are you?