More woes thanks to some evil elements

Status
Not open for further replies.

lionheart8

Reaction score
Hi

More problems are coming to light caused by the disabling of fsockopen() just because of some few bad eggs misusing them.
On top of several important functions not working in a web directory script using this function (see http://forums.x10hosting.com/free-hosting/28003-some-pages-not-fully-loading.html ) I discovered several functions in Drupal, including the inbuilt cron, that is crucial for a number things is not working. One cannot make some crucial system updates or changes and of course stuff depending on cron, like rss feeds update are now useless as the cron module uses it. I also see for "no apparent reason" when submitting content the categorization option, ie of the content, eg of a cake recipe to the Cakes section or a military joke to Military Jokes has vanished without anything done by me, meaning the taxonomy module responsible for this has been affected, etc etc.

Meanwhile, at the above link, the script writer of the web directory script suggests the administrator could at least selectively enable fsockopen() for some users (who can be watched) & gives a link at php.net how that could be achieved. He acknowledges the potential misuse of fsockopen(), but believes there is a way around this.
Please at least consider that.

PS. Could it be the automerging of some posts can be misleading as one gets the impression it's the same post that eg. a moderator/administrator may assume has been read when it actually has some new information that may need to be acted upon?

Some information for example in the above post, added hours later, was automerged & appears to be a mere small update of the original response to Coreys message - when I had added it as a new reply AFTER his to my original one.

Last edited:

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
I changed your PHP settings, see if it works for you now.

-Corey

lionheart8

Reaction score
Hi

Many thanks for responding.
The Drupal site has those mentioned functions working, only that it took quite a while for the site to load, as opposed to a site of friend whose site I'm helping to construct & had tried to install the exact copy of my site when i was trying to locate the problem. the copy there is faster, but still has the problems without fsockopen(). I dont know whether the slowness is connected or is temporary.

The directory functions are back, though i noted the spidering has gone to the very slow pace that used to be before the major server updates a few weeks ago. At that time I wrote an article commending the changes resulting from the completed updates (transfer if I remember well) and named the lighting speed of spidering the set 100 pages/website in seconds as opposed to many, as much as, 15 to 30 min before.
As said, no idea whether that also is connected to any changes.
The spidering speed is currently not a big deal as the the directory site will be transferred after being fully constructed.

Quote from that post:
What is definitely conspicuous:
The Drupal based site used to takes ages to load - there's a big difference now.
A web directory I'm experimenting on, used to take ages to spider a few pages of a site - often over 20 min for 100 pages, now it takes a few seconds to go thru fewer pages - certainly for 100 pages much less time - not takehn note of how much it takes now.
Also importing pages from DMOZ was a major problem. Merely loading the different category/subcat. pages would take ages, until one got 2 the desired one and time-outs where the order of the day. Actually, I thought that is how those things function!! This is a new field for me.

Thank you for being responsive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.