MS says MSN site hacked in S Korea

stealth_thunder

Reaction score
WASHINGTON: Microsoft Corp. acknowledges that hackers booby-trapped its popular MSN Web site in South Korea to steal passwords from visitors. The company says it was unclear how many Internet users might have been victimised.

Microsoft said it cleaned the Web site, msn.co.kr , and removed the dangerous software code that unknown hackers inserted this week. A spokesman, Adam Sohn, said yesterday that Microsoft was confident its English-language Web sites were not vulnerable to the same type of attack.

South Korea is a leader in high-speed Internet users worldwide. Microsoft Corp.'s MSN Web properties - which offer news, financial advice, car- and home-buying information and more - are among the most popular across the Web.

The affected Microsoft site in South Korea offers news and other information plus links to the company's free e-mail and search services. Its English-language equivalent is the default home Internet page for the newest versions of its flagship Windows software sold in the United States.
The Korean site, unlike US versions, was operated by another company, which Microsoft did not identify. Microsoft's own experts and Korean police were investigating, but Microsoft believes the computers were vulnerable because operators failed to apply necessary software patches, said Sohn, an MSN director.

"Our preliminary opinion here was, this was the result of an unpatched operating system," Sohn said. "When stuff is in our data centre, it's easier to control. We're pretty maniacal about getting servers patched and keeping our customers safe and protected."

website taken:
Code:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1131128.cms

so so this is hacking eh , I was wonder does north korea have computers to do hacking??? or computer to work, mostly they have nuclear system programing and I heard they do not have computers " Communtist Country"

Matthews255

Reaction score
sure the engligh sites arent vulnerable. .co.kr?? the world gets odder.

chaganlal1

Reaction score
thats en english site i dont know co.kr ? that wouldnt be me of thinking korean?

MicrotechXP

Reaction score
Yes I found out yesterday on Yahoo! I feel mad that Microsoft took that long to fix the probelm...

Conor

Reaction score
Everything these days is getting harder to protect. The hacking knowledge just keeps getting bigger and people are getting so good at it that they could hack into almost anything nowadays.

Bryon

I Fix Things
Reaction score
As long as there are people that are determined to "do things", new holes/vulns./etc will always be found in websites, programs, etc. It's always going to be a problem.

bryansyk

Reaction score
im so proud of being korean.... haha...
i know asians are all smart includin me ;D but... koreans man... the smartest creatures in dah world! especially when it comes to illegal stuff.... ahhh... wouldn't it be nice if we used our brains for good things....

anyway... damn... i didn't even kno that microsoft website could be hacked any way... surprising in a sense... cuz microsoft basically invented computers today around the world...

Iceman

Reaction score
I remember not too long ago when the Microsoft.co.uk main page was hacked. I thought it was hilarious, but that's just me.

limelight

Reaction score
bryansyk said:
im so proud of being korean.... haha...
i know asians are all smart includin me ;D but... koreans man... the smartest creatures in dah world! especially when it comes to illegal stuff.... ahhh... wouldn't it be nice if we used our brains for good things....

anyway... damn... i didn't even kno that microsoft website could be hacked any way... surprising in a sense... cuz microsoft basically invented computers today around the world...

Wow, talk about patriotism. :)

digitalfarm

Reaction score
hmm..microsoft is so careless every once in a while u here they windows is hacked now the website's
But u can't really blame because their are people out their that are one step ahea of them .there is always a way not matter how lfull proof.