Multiple Sites Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolblu211236

Prime Account
Reaction score
I'm on illuminated hosting and I was wondering how to setup multiple website installs under the same hosting account.

I have a wiki setup on one sql db under my main .com domain and I want to setup a separate forum and wordpress site as the forum's frontend.

I already know how to setup the installations and add another domain and setup the forward for it.

I want to know how to keep the forum/wordpress separate from the wiki so users can't for example type the url for one site's domain and get sent to the other separate site.

Last edited:

mraz

Reaction score
I want to know how to keep the forum/wordpress separate from the wiki

it's abit confusing what you are trying to achieve here.

Is your main .com domain set up as park domain or addon domain?
where are you intending to install the forum/wordpress? another .com domain or a subdomain from your existing .com domain?

by default when u install these applications, it's already separated(different directories or subdomains) so that's why i'm quite puzzle what you meant by
so users can't for example type the url for one site's domain and get sent to the other separate site.

unless you install all this scripts on your main domain under the same directory.

coolblu211236

Prime Account
Reaction score
it's abit confusing what you are trying to achieve here.

Is your main .com domain set up as park domain or addon domain?
where are you intending to install the forum/wordpress? another .com domain or a subdomain from your existing .com domain?

by default when u install these applications, it's already separated(different directories or subdomains) so that's why i'm quite puzzle what you meant by

unless you install all this scripts on your main domain under the same directory.

Yes, a new domain for the wordpress/forum setup would be added as an addon domain

Okay Lets say the system is setup like this:

domain1.com/wiki

domain2.com/forum

But someone could always just type

domain2.com/wiki

to get to the site hosted under the first domain (and then wonder why a completely irrelevant site is under that domain)

So is there a way where I can make the certain directories for each site accessible only from the domain it is intended for?

Last edited:

coolblu211236

Prime Account
Reaction score

mraz

Reaction score
yep thats right!
With addon domain, your directory will look like this.

1. public_html
2. public_html/domain1.com
3. public_html/domain2.com

files you placed in the following directory will appear in the individual domains and are not linked to the other....

1. your x10 subdomain
2. domain1.com
3. domain2.com

coolblu211236

Prime Account
Reaction score
Okay so I tried this out and it works perfectly with "domain2.com" except domain1.com is my main domain and I have no x10 sub domain.

So either have support reactivate a sub domain and switch the main to an add on. Or find something like an htaccess config that would block access to the other domain's directory when using the first domain.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Re. not having a x10Hosting subdomain: That's fine.

Your main domain will use files from /public_html

Your addon domains will use the subdomain - if you have a site set up on the main domain access to the addon domains won't happen accidentally. I have my addon domains in another folder primarily for better organisation!!

Status
Not open for further replies.