Music Managers

kaitia

Reaction score
It's time once again to find the alternative to Apple's wonderful products. Apple does a great job when creating a product that is reliable and performs well. However, I don't want to be locked into their world. So, I am looking for an alternative to iTunes.

Current List of tested products:

1) aTunes - for Linux
2) Media Monkey - Windows
3) iTunes - Windows and Mac

I am about to test a product called MusicBee. Has anyone heard of this or even tested this application. Feel free to let me know of other potential candidates.

Thanks

omniuni

Reaction score
Well, for Linux:

Amarok
Juk
RhythmBox
Listen
MiniRok
Exaile

Windows:

MusikCube

Let me know what you think of them. Personally, I use Amarok a lot, but Listen is great for older computers.

gluxon

Reaction score
Songbird is the best alternative (in my opinion) for iTunes on Windows and Linux. Not sure about Mac though. But... Songbird runes on Wine which runs on Mac.

BTW, Apple is not awesome! It's horrible!

changc

Reaction score
Songbird is the best alternative (in my opinion) for iTunes on Windows and Linux. Not sure about Mac though. But... Songbird runes on Wine which runs on Mac.

BTW, Apple is not awesome! It's horrible!
Totally agree here. iTunes is horribly bloated and buggy. They make crappy headphones and there are many superior alternatives to the iPod as well.

I am using Winamp for my music. It's light and simple. A little confusing at first, but once you get used to it, it's wonderful.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Those small headphones you typically get for free with iPods, free radios, etc are crappy anyways, simply due to their size and make. The iPod Earphones are better than the ones I normally come across as they at least kick out some low tones to them. But yes the classic headphones with larger speakers that go around your head, those are much better in terms of sound. I have a set of 10 year old Radioshack headphones with a 20 foot cord on it, and they sound great to this day. I also have a set of 13 year old Sony headphones with a 20 foot cord on them and they sound great as well.

Might I also mention as an aside fact, you can make your own noise canceling headphones for no more than $30 :D

Last edited:

omniuni

Reaction score
Off Topic :dunno: but...

Smith6612, you're very right! And by gosh, if you you don't need to pay out the nose! I got some great Cyber Acoustic phones from Tiger Direct for $18. They have 40mm mylar cones, neodymium magnets, a 9 foot shielded cord, and a gold-plated 1/4" adapter included. They also have a nice sliding in-line volume control (more reliable than the dial-based ones). They sound significantly better than the $100+ Bose phones I've tried in several situations.

Back on topic...

I've heard great things about songbird!