MySpace (Fox) owns ALL rights to everything uploaded by members

Status
Not open for further replies.

oscar.j4l

Reaction score
Myspace/Fox can use ANYTHING of yours you post to your site [music, videos, photographs, art work, etc.]. This means they can alter it, edit it, sell it, etc. WITHOUT giving you credit

This has recently been brought to my attention… You can find the content that is quoted below by clicking “terms” on the myspace homepage and scrolling down a bit. I.e. its taken directly from the terms of use, it’s not some silly paranoid internet scare tactic.

In summation, myspace/fox can use ANYTHING of yours you post to your site [music, videos, photographs, art work, etc.]. This means they can alter it, edit it, sell it, etc. WITHOUT giving you credit, giving you royalties, basically without giving you jack ****. Please be aware of this and use caution when sharing your creative works on myspace. I love being an intermanet whore like the rest of you and I adore seeing everyone’s new work - but I’d hate for it to be violated and taken out from under your control by a Media company that’s much bigger than you.

If you think this is as frightening as I do, please repost and warn your fellow artists/friends about this. Direct quote is below.

Proprietary Rights in Content on MySpace.com.
By displaying or publishing (”posting”) any Content, messages, text, files, images, photos, video, sounds, profiles, works of authorship, or any other materials (collectively, “Content”) on or through the Services, you hereby grant to MySpace.com, a non-exclusive, fully-paid and royalty-free, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense through unlimited levels of sublicensees) to use, copy, modify, adapt, translate, publicly perform, publicly display, store, reproduce, transmit, and distribute such Content on and through the Services. This license will terminate at the time you remove such Content from the Services. Notwithstanding the foregoing, a back-up or residual copy of the Content posted by you may remain on the MySpace.com servers after you have removed the Content from the Services, and MySpace.com retains the rights to those copies. You represent and warrant that: (i) you own the Content posted by you on or through the Services or otherwise have the right to grant the license set forth in this section, and (ii) the posting of your Content on or through the Services does not violate the privacy rights, publicity rights, copyrights, contract rights or any other rights of any person. You agree to pay for all royalties, fees, and any other monies owing any person by reason of any Content posted by you to or through the Services.

What do you guys think of this?

Jordan K

[B]tags dont work:([/B]
Reaction score
I guess MySpace is really owning those who don't read their terms. Oh well, in my opinion MySpace sucks and always will, I put it on my blocked sites a long time ago. Just so I don't have to deal with annoying popups to it. ;)

chaganlal1

Reaction score
What the heck, I didnt know that was possible.... I am going have to tell my people that. Oh yeah fox ownes myspace?...

Nekaid

Reaction score
Hey, I use myspace, only because my friends and girlfriend do. But, I thought Tom owned myspace. Or is it he's like a bot or something. Because everytime a new member registers, he's automatically their friend. Thats alot of friends, over millions of people, prolly into the billions by now.

I have never heard of Fox as the owner of MySpace.

mono1geek

Reaction score
im thinking Tom was the creator and (off topic: i think he was in a court case for allegedly raping some of the users) maybe because it was so successful, tom sold it to fox. and tom is automatically everyones friend because he wants to look cool "oh look i have millions of friends!"

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
mono1geek said:
im thinking Tom was the creator and (off topic: i think he was in a court case for allegedly raping some of the users) maybe because it was so successful, tom sold it to fox. and tom is automatically everyones friend because he wants to look cool "oh look i have millions of friends!"
Or so all the emo kids don't kill themselves after seeing "You have no friends"

Where did you hear that BS story about him raping people?

Last edited:

mono1geek

Reaction score
one of my mates told me in one of our "kewl gossip sessions"... okay, i was just talking to my mate.
yeah... emo kids... they are funny creatures.. we have all different types in the city, we nickname them all...
anyway im thinking fox owns it all and it sucks that they took the rights of all the stuff thats uploaded

Status
Not open for further replies.