MySQL storage

moinkhan

Reaction score
Before I get too far ahead with the development of my site (Free Hosting, Ad Free) I wanted to know:

(1) If x10Hosting places any storage cap for MySQL databases, or is it part of overall account storage limit?
(2) How many tables can a DB have?
(3) How big a table can be? Any storage limitation? Any number of records limitation?

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
1) Part of disc space used.

2) Far as I know there's no limit, or its a limit so high your database will begin to be slow to run queries on before you get there.

3) See 2; if the tables are designed well, it'll be a very high number before you notice slowdown. If it's designed poorly, you could begin bogging down at as few as 1000. If it's not, you could easily get upwards of 50,000 records (I've got a table at 60,345 records, it's taking 0.0340 sec to complete a search on the FileEntry field).

So the two key's I've learned:

1: PLAN IT OUT! Especially the database part - make sure you know what goes where first, so it's organized in a way to make searching easy.

2: Watch your disc space usage - if you run a big forum and it gets popular, it'll eat that up faster than I eat up a bag of Oreo's, and take it from me, I eat them little buddies up fast ^_^

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Awesome, Livewire, I actually laughed out loud when I read your post :p

SQL by design is an extremely well optimized storage. As Livewire said, as long as you do your part to design the database well and use efficient queries, the number of records can be astronomical in your database without an issue. Imagine the database for this forum here, or even Google.com's database of probably billions of pages.

moinkhan

Reaction score
Thanks, Livewire. I'll keep that in mind. Even without being popular, I will face challenge with storage, because I am dealing with user submitted blobs (images).

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
You could always just store a reference to the files in the database instead of the files themselves, which would be kept in an external folder. That might speed up query times.