Naturally! Website times out again, going for a record!

Pintwin173a

Reaction score
It's the same old "Same Old", all over again....twice! (oops, THREE TIMES!...and WP almost worked, kinda like the patient "almost survived" ;-)

Screen Shot 2024-08-22 at 2.22.06 PM.png

No sense repeating details many of you already know, so I'll just opine a bit more:

I'm wondering...
- Is this a clever way to get people to upgrade to a paid service?
- Do so many problems exist with paying customers that they can't respond to requests by free users at all?
- Would support happen faster on Discord? (or will I find others in the same boat?)

As one who's used x10 for about 13 years, I remember these words spoken by X10's owner back in 2018:
“We’ve been around a long time, and we’re still offering the same value and service that we did when we started.”
"The goal is still to keep offering more features than any other free hosting companies without forcing everyone to upgrade.”

And, I've repeatedly said I'm glad x10's around, and don't expect Customer Service to be fast, courteous, complete, or even correct when it's free. (BTW: I've been in customer-facing jobs requiring fast turnaround - in one technical consulting job, it was every 13 minutes - so I appreciate what's involved). There's been situations on x10 where it's taken weeks to resolve issues, so waiting 4 days isn't the point. The point is ANY response by Customer Service would be welcome...even if it's to say it'll take awhile, the cause is unknown, or we don't know what's going on. Even if the service is free.

Pintwin173a

Eric S

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You do not need make a new post each time this happens. As I mentioned in my update in the first post regareding this : https://community.x10hosting.com/th...ain-but-only-for-me-again.212500/#post-998834

I apologize as I assumed my full reply there would have helped you understand what is going on.

You are hitting our rules when accessing your WP. We are looking into these issues and hope top have them resolved shortly.

We did attempt to whitelist your IP so it bypasses said rules but as you can see you are still able to hit them.

I'm wondering...
- Do so many problems exist with paying customers that they can't respond to requests by free users at all?
- Would support happen faster on Discord? (or will I find others in the same boat?)

- No. Free hosting has ALWAYS been volunteer supported.
- I do believe you may be missing the differential between free and premium support and services.
- Yes, most of the time discord is much quicker as it is a more "live" interactions with our support volunteers who also have live access to the admin teams.

Pintwin173a

Reaction score
Thank you for your eventual reply.

Please excuse my long post but I believe you need to appreciate my on-going frustration. And, it's morning, so it might ramble a bit.

No apology needed I understood your response COMPLETELY.

I can't change the MODsec rules at YOUR end, but I presume as Admin you can. So, was there one rule, multiple rules, conflicting rules, etc?

Silence....for a week.

You wrote:
a false positive from the WP side. Which again, we have whitelisted your domain for this rule.
And on August 11th, 2024 I repllied:
So, (a) who's keeps digging a new hole for me to fall into?, and (b) how is this fixed?
- Server rules at your end?
- I upgrade my versions of PHP / WP?
- You Whitelist my static IP?
- Something else?
And even reported my IP as static.

Silence....for a week.

Do I have to change WP options / rules at my end? Beats me, don't know.

You also wrote:
note that rules are generally added and updates almost daily so this one "white list" may work for sometime but if a new rule comes out it may trigger again.
So, is my IP getting temporarily blocked by a new rule each time, the same rule most of the time, or one rule all of the time?
I can't determine that, but as Admin surely you can (hence my "whack-a-mole" comment ;-)
And yet the problem continues, even as I write this. Perhaps another new rule is at play here?

Silence....for a week.
Worse than that, unresolved....for over a week.

No surprise then I've posted a new thread for every occurrence instead of replying to my own post or bumping every 24 hrs - I'm trying to get anyone's attention. ANY response would have sufficed rather than stating you believed i understood the problem - I need to understand the SOLUTION. While wondering if there's a button that allows Admins to monitor new activity on Forum Support :-/

And, I wondered if my situation was unique or if others are experiencing similar problems (which would require signing up for Discord.)

Further, you wrote:
- I do believe you may be missing the differential between free and premium support and services.
Hardly. I've already drawn a distinction between Free and Paid Customer Support, at least two times during this recent situation and at least one time in the past. And I appreciate that distinction: More money buys more, faster, thorough, and accurate service. My comment contemplated whether there was insufficient support even at the Paid level(s).

As for Discord, I don't mind signing up for it except for this:

Does Discord's TOS require users to be over 21 as a condition of use? If so, only a positive attestation of this by a new user should suffice, not their exact age (I'm not a big fan of personal data mining). If not, why is one's precise age required?

This post is already TL;DR, but here's the bottom line:

- What do YOU need to do to resolve this still-ongoing issue?
- What do *I* need to do at my end (if anything)?
- When might a solution present itself (as the problem persists as I write this)?
- How can this be prevented in the future (because it has become a PITA at this point)?

Note - as I've mentioned numerous times - I appreciate x10hosting and am glad they provide their free hosting product. Also, I'm not singling out you, as you've been helpful in the past: You're just the belly button I can push for help at this point. It would just be very helpful if this persistent problem were resolved.

I look forward to a solution. Thanks.

Pintwin173a

mrburnsx

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
As towards the Discord sign up part of your question:

Age requirements and responsibility of parents and legal guardians​

By accessing our services, you confirm that you’re at least 13 years old and meet the minimum age required by the laws in your country. We maintain a list of minimum ages around the world as a resource for you, but we aren’t able to guarantee that it is always accurate. If you are old enough to access our services in your country, but not old enough to have authority to consent to our terms, your parent or legal guardian must agree to our terms on your behalf. Please ask your parent or legal guardian to read these terms with you. If you’re a parent or legal guardian, and you allow your child (who must meet the minimum age for your country) to use the services, then these terms also apply to you and you’re responsible for your child’s activity on the services, including purchases made by them. For more information on purchases, see “Discord’s Paid Services” below.

https://support.discord.com/hc/en-us/articles/360040724612-Why-is-Discord-asking-for-my-birthday (which also explains why they ask)

kenny9

Reaction score
Have you thought about just giving up on Word Press and moving on to another program?

Pintwin173a

Reaction score
Have you thought about just giving up on Word Press and moving on to another program?
I have, but WP has been essentially rock solid for over 12 years until the last few months.

I've mentioned in previous posts I'd upgrade it (it does need upgrading ;-) but am concerned if IP Block(s) are in place it could fail.
To date I'm not sure what MODsec codes I've bumped into, who've set them, etc.

In addition, if the WP temporary IP Block is done at Singlehop's server(s) and/or x10 Admins based on my IP Address it probably won't matter what blogroll software I'm using: My understanding is singlehop /x10 can set rules, the security package(s) they use as proxy can set rules, and I (as client-side Admin of my WP installation) can set some WP rules, but WordPress.org does not enforce censorship rules :-/

Regards, Pintwin173a

Last edited:

serennau22

Reaction score
To answer your question about premium hosting support: it's great! I've been a customer for years and haven't a bad word to say about x10Premium. If your site is very important to you, perhaps you should consider the premium side.

Pintwin173a

Reaction score
To answer your question about premium hosting support: it's great! I've been a customer for years and haven't a bad word to say about x10Premium. If your site is very important to you, perhaps you should consider the premium side.
So, if I pay for the Premium service my problem is solved, but if I stay with the Free service my problem remains unsolved?
The problem is the same in either case, it doesn't know if I'm a paying customer or not.

Although, you bring up a *very* interesting point: Might there be language in x10's TOS in their Free and/or Premium contracts saying or implying that problems are only guaranteed to be resolved if using a paying service? Perhaps I should read them ;-)

Regards,

Pintwin173a

Pintwin173a

Reaction score
You do not need make a new post each time this happens. As I mentioned in my update in the first post regareding this : https://community.x10hosting.com/th...ain-but-only-for-me-again.212500/#post-998834

I apologize as I assumed my full reply there would have helped you understand what is going on.

You are hitting our rules when accessing your WP. We are looking into these issues and hope top have them resolved shortly.

We did attempt to whitelist your IP so it bypasses said rules but as you can see you are still able to hit them.

I'm wondering...

- No. Free hosting has ALWAYS been volunteer supported.
- Yes, most of the time discord is much quicker as it is a more "live" interactions with our support volunteers who also have live access to the admin teams.

UPDATE:
Approx. 1/2 hour before writing this the WordPress portion of my website now suddenly works correctly!
I've got no idea how that happened; however, I did experience a Cloudflare / Immunify360 infinite Captcha loop, requiring me to close the browser tab and clear the cache. (See: https://blog.imunify360.com/using-cloudflare-cache-everything-with-imunify360 ). After that it started working fine.

HOWEVER:

Now when I log into x10hosting I can get to the Services menu but clicking Hosting Control Panel throws a "ssl_error_rx_record_too_long" error. See this thread for more information: https://community.x10hosting.com/threads/x13-cmd-login-secure-connection-failed.212585/

Note mrburnsx has apparently tossed in the towel on this one, so any help you could provide would be appreciated.

Pintwin173a

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-08-25 at 12.01.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-08-25 at 12.01.14 AM.png
    217 KB · Views: 5

Pintwin173a

Reaction score
Hooray!

Seems everything stated working properly late Sunday night, all is as it was, smooth as silk.
No WP IP Blocks. No Cloudflare / Immunify 360 conflicts. No DNS resolver problems.

I don't know what you did but thanks for doing it, especially thx to Eric S. :)

If you could report back on what was done to resolve the problem(s) it might come in handy the next time the SHTF.

Thanks again!

Pintwin173a

Eric S

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,

As indicated before the block was caused by the imunify360 we use. We re-verified the rules along with the domain.

Glad to hear this is now stable. Please keep all future issues within this single thread so we can track them and the replies. Or feel free to join our discord for quicker support when needed.

Pintwin173a

Reaction score
Bump

BTW: See attached, I've redacted my ISP in the Traceroute.

It's like playing Minesweeper (which, frankly, I detest, Dante should have included it as one of his Levels of He11 ;-).
Would be nice if there were a list of rules I could refer to so I could avoid violating one of them, but I'm sure someone will say that's impossible ;-)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-09-09 at 9.59.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-09-09 at 9.59.52 AM.png
    60.9 KB · Views: 3

Pintwin173a

Reaction score
Bump, per Forum Rules ;-)

Can log into X10 hosting, but clicking Hosting Control Panel results in a timeout error.

So, what's going on here people?

You're the ones who can see all the traffic and fiddle with all the knobs:

Too many visitors?
File Manager limits?
Incorrect / obsolete versions of Wordpress, PHP, Maria, etc?
Someone hijacked my site?
Embedded malware? (FYI: In the past I've downloaded my entire site and scanned it using multiple antivirus tools which found nothing)
I insulted some AI Censorbot? (we know how sensitive electrons can be ;-)
Sunspots?
Etc.

It has been five (5) days now, no response.

Last edited: