New GFX comminity!

Status
Not open for further replies.

modulus

Reaction score
it looks ok but i dont see the reason for having a splash page, also the banner on the forum is too big and breaks the page

Kraze_T

Reaction score
i put in a splash page to make it different to other gfx websites, and atm im editing the theme so a few bits may look a little strange

Last edited:

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
i put in a splash page to make it different to other gfx websites, and atm im editing the theme so a few bits may look a little strange
That's not being different in a good way, though. It's annoying and pointless. It's just another page for the user to load and waste time/bandwidth on, and it's stupid to have to click again to enter after you click the link for the site.

What if everything on this forum required you to do the same action twice?

Please log in.
Please log in again just to make sure you want to.

Click here to create a new post.
Click here again if you haven't changed your mind.

If they don't want to enter it, they won't click it, and if at any point they change their mind, the back button or close tab/window button works great.

Kraze_T

Reaction score
i never asked for your opinion on my site, i have asked for people to come and take a look at my site. Me having a splash page isnt effecting you in any way. If you dont want to enter my site dont bother, i dont want people like you on my site. the forum doesnt even tell you to do everything twice and if you think you can make a perfect website let me know. The thing that wasted my bandwidth and time was loading up this page and reading the rubbish u have wrote.
btw i wish there was a button to keep ur mouth closed.

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
i never asked for your opinion on my site, i have asked for people to come and take a look at my site. Me having a splash page isnt effecting you in any way. If you dont want to enter my site dont bother, i dont want people like you on my site. the forum doesnt even tell you to do everything twice and if you think you can make a perfect website let me know. The thing that wasted my bandwidth and time was loading up this page and reading the rubbish u have wrote.
btw i wish there was a button to keep ur mouth closed.
What's your problem? I was offering constructive criticism and you start with insults. Stop freaking out when people tell you something isn't perfect, because whether you like it or not I can offer suggestions even if you don't choose to listen to them.

And now that I know what kind of person you are, I don't want to join your pirated IPB forum (yeah, you see that "IP.Board" at the bottom? It's supposed to be a link, but nulled copies make it unclickable).

And since it makes you unleash your uncontrollable rage, I will provide more reasons not to use splash pages.

http://webdesign.about.com/od/navigation/a/aa020303a.htm

• Many readers don't like splash pages - and in some studies 25% of visitors left a site right after seeing a splash page.
  • Splash pages break search engines. Since many splash pages only include a flash animation there isn't a lot for a search engine to optimize on. And if you add content to the page in comments you can be penalized for spamdexing.
http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2007/10/11/splash-pages-do-we-really-need-them/
And users literally can’t stand them, because splash pages usually take a long time to load and provide (almost) no navigation options — except of “entering the site”.

You need to learn how to spell, too. This isn't a chat room so we'd appreciate it if you would type out your words. Here's a new word for you: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/friendliness

All I was doing was trying to help, since most people don't like splash pages (just do a Google search and see what people's opinions are). You didn't have to respond like an asshole, did you?

the forum doesnt even tell you to do everything twice and if you think you can make a perfect website let me know.
You clearly missed the point I was trying to make. A splash page does, in fact, require you to click again to enter when you've already clicked the URL. That means you're doing the same thing twice for absolutely no reason. But since you don't want to listen to the truth, have fun annoying all your visitors.

Oh, as an extra special surprise, another great page about splash pages:
http://www.seomoz.org/blog/how-to-convince-a-client-they-dont-need-a-splash-page
Search engines will spider the splash page instead of the real content

So it's not only annoying the users and making them leave (which I now know you don't care about), but it hurts search engine rankings, too.

If you can't take criticism, you shouldn't have a website.

"Click to Enter" is redundant
By visiting your site they've already agreed to enter, why do they have to do it again? It'd be like opening the door to a store only to find another door that says, "haha, just kidding. Open this door to enter for reals this time."
I suppose I could keep adding examples trying to get the point across, but I think you're probably mad enough by now if you've managed to read my whole post.

Last edited:

Kraze_T

Reaction score
Thanks for your constructive critisism. I do believe your right about a few of the splash pages facts like wasting bandwidth and you've made a point. But you must not have a life, you put way too much time into that post.If you want to talk about what im like ask Jesse, he's known me for a long time. So thanks for taking a look at my site. And wasting my time and also alot of yours.

Last edited:

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
But you must not have a life, you put way too much time into that post.If you want to talk about what im like ask Jesse, he's known me for a long time. So thanks for taking a look at my site. And wasting my time and also alot of yours.
Oh boy, the original "get a life" insult. How about you stop worrying that I "wasted" seven minutes of my life? If you want to start debating what's a waste of time and what's not, you wasted your time making a completely unoriginal forum that won't exist in a year. At least I used my time prove an ignorant (and unnecessarily hostile) person wrong.;) You should be honored that I would waste that much of my time to educate you on something that might actually help you get people to join your forum. I can tell what you're like; I don't need to get someone else to confirm it for me.

Late edit: I guess you were right. After thinking about it, I did waste my time trying to help you. I won't make the same mistake in the future. Thanks for your valuable observation! :)

Last edited:

Kraze_T

Reaction score
I cant be bothered to argue with you, im wasting my time, and ur not wasting ur time cause ur on ur pc 247 on posting **** on forums. Please stay out of my posts and dont want to know any of your suggestions or ideas, cause its obvious i dont agree with them and i dont wanna know about it. You dont even know who i am, heres something else you should know 'dont judge a book by its cover'. I could list 100 facts about you but im i havent got all day and no life.
So thanks for getting the views up on this post :D

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
I cant be bothered to argue with you, im wasting my time, and ur not wasting ur time cause ur on ur pc 247 on posting **** on forums. Please stay out of my posts and dont want to know any of your suggestions or ideas, cause its obvious i dont agree with them and i dont wanna know about it. You dont even know who i am, heres something else you should know 'dont judge a book by its cover'. I could list 100 facts about you but im i havent got all day and no life.
So thanks for getting the views up on this post :D
It's amazing how you can tell someone's on their computer all week just by seeing a few of their posts they made on a Saturday. Anyway, I think you should stop obsessing over how I spend my time. Are you in love with me or something?:lol:

Your post above is a fine example of hypocrisy. First you start insulting me and claiming you know what I do every day of every week just because I made some suggestions you disagreed with, and then you say "don't judge a book by its cover."

If you really thought you were wasting your time, you wouldn't still be responding, would you? I only judged you based on your bad attitude towards me when I didn't originally show a bad attitude towards you.

One of my hobbies happens to be posting on a few forums, and then you decide to prejudge me and say I've got no life? Well, since you like basketball and rap music, you must be a gangsta wannabe. Or, since you can do graphic design, you must be a fat nerd. That's judging a book by its cover.

I don't know what you were trying to achieve by going through my threads and bumping an old one just to spout your unwanted opinion. Maybe it's your way of getting revenge against the person who dared offer a suggestion. Well, you sure showed me. I had to go to the great lengths of locking the thread.

I wouldn't be criticizing the games other people play when your favorites are Battlefield 2 and Counter-Strike: Source, either. :lol: For someone who keeps saying he's not going to waste his time arguing with me, you sure do enjoy responding to my posts and even searching for threads of mine to post in.

If I wasn't finding this discussion somewhat humorous, I wouldn't still be paying attention to it. One of those 100 facts you know about me should be that I don't mind wasting a little time for a lot of laughs.

Status
Not open for further replies.