New Rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate_Benton

Reaction score
Okay, I'm sick of seeing it. Shorthand. As in "ne1" or "how bout dis?"
I've been seeing this lately, and when it gets to the point where staff can't even understand what you are saying due to your shorthand, then there needs to be a stop.
Feel free to discuss the matter in this thread. I want feedback.

Alejandro

Staff
Staff member
Community Support
Reaction score
I think I agree, it's ok when you 'sometimes' use expressions like 'cause 'till etc.
But please don't use that ammount, it's sometimes hard to read things that way. ;)

Aroonxors

Reaction score
Really.. sometimes I don't understand what people are saying. Occasional use, i think is ok.

Jordan K

[B]tags dont work:([/B]
Reaction score
Lol...

"It's easy to understand..."

is equal to...

"Yo, G. Hit this brotha on tha flIp siDe, dat shizzzlenizzle like butter n bread."

Last edited:

Akkarin

Reaction score
I agree with Nate sometimes people are just too lazy to write out the words completely, or even use shorter versions. Also punctuation is sometimes v. bad. It may not seem like such a huge problem but if your reading that horrible shorthand you some sentances are just too hard to understand as you have to guess where the , or . goes.

Maybe we should make a rule that if your posts are obscenly un-intelligible you get a warning?

Jordan K

[B]tags dont work:([/B]
Reaction score
While we're at it.. can we make a rule so that everyone has to have "civilr is oWnz0r" in their sig or they get a warning too??!?! OMG THATS 1337SAUCE!@## :hsdance:

Last edited:

moose

Reaction score
I'm not sure about punishing them for it. I just think that we should somehow discuss with the people who have a problem with writing things out.

I'm sure it would be a easy thing to get rid of.

But I suggest putting it in the rules so we don't have to tell every newcomer that comes in.

Last edited:
B

Brandon

Thanks, the forums are horrible without proper english. My english teacher would freak out!

Woolie

Reaction score
Humm, I agree that excesive shorthand and l33t should not be used, but I still don't find it that much of a problem to read. I think this is quite appropriate here ;-)

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by itslef but the wrod as a wlohe.

Mani5

Reaction score
civilr said:
Lol...

is equal to...

"Yo, G. Hit this brotha on tha flIp siDe, dat shizzzlenizzle like butter n bread."
lol ye thats lik me!

yo I might get banned den! LOL

I dunno..

Phil

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Mani5 said:
civilr said:
Lol...

is equal to...

lol ye thats lik me!

yo I might get banned den! LOL

I dunno..
Well it's not that hard to put a -a on the end of that ye to make it yea and then changee den to then. Also lol not that hard to put a e on teh end of lik.

I agree with it because when I see this kind of typing I feel like i'm talking to a 2 year old.

Richard

Reaction score
This is my point of view. This forum is used for support right? In order for people to help you you need to be clear and concise. When you phone tech support for a problem you don't you slang, you talk to them clearly to that the can help you and this forum is no diffrent.

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
I agree with Richard on this, but I think punishing people for it is going a bit to far.

Phil

Retired Staff
Reaction score
bigguy said:
I agree with Richard on this, but I think punishing people for it is going a bit to far.
Yea same, I think we just have to let them know it. But not ban them or warn them every time somone does it.

Conor

Reaction score
Don't read the post if you can't understand it. If no one can understand it the person will HAVE to make it clearer.

DMacK

Reaction score
Admin_Woolie said:
Humm, I agree that excesive shorthand and l33t should not be used, but I still don't find it that much of a problem to read. I think this is quite appropriate here ;-)

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by itslef but the wrod as a wlohe.

That's crazy yet it's not that hard to read.

Hmm maybe there should be a limit on how short you can make a word before you actually have to think for a min. Maybe just give out warnings if it is too unreadable.

Alejandro

Staff
Staff member
Community Support
Reaction score
Yeah, I love the idea, if they don't write properly, then we just close leave the thread that way. And please civilr - Stop It! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.