Nine-year-olds plotted to tie up, hurt teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.

hypochondriac

Reaction score
ATLANTA (Reuters) - Nine-year-olds at a school in the U.S. state of Georgia brought a broken steak knife, handcuffs and electrical tape to school in a plot to injure their teacher, authorities said on Tuesday.

b
b
b

Teachers at Center Elementary School in Waycross, Georgia, uncovered the plot on Friday when a pupil reported that a child in the third grade had brought a weapon into the school.
"The plan was to handcuff the teacher, put tape over her mouth and hit her over the head with the paperweight and possibly cut her," said Lt. Duane Caswell of Waycross police, adding that some students said the knife was simply there to cut the tape.
"It was a rather elaborate scheme for children of that age," he said.
The students spent a week planning the attack and planned to carry it out on the day they were caught, Caswell said.
Nine pupils in the grade, most of whom were 9 years old, have been disciplined and some were given long-term suspensions, said Theresa Martin, spokeswoman for the Ware County school district in the southeastern part of the state.
Caswell said police were also planning to charge three of the children in the juvenile court system with conspiracy to commit aggravated assault and possession of a weapon on a school property.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080402/od_nm/school_plot_dc;_ylt=AvSvhVGoNLZpqGTAcoJD7JjtiBIF

Weird, I'm surprised by the organization. Was the teacher in any real danger? How much of a threat could a bunch of 9 year olds be?

Last edited:

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
What I am wondering is, where do these 9 year olds get these ideas from?
Do their parents say, "Here Johnny! I bought you 5 M rated games and 10 R rated movies today!"
I am glad they were caught. It looks like this might have led to murder...

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
thats how the rumer was at my school. not "possibly cut her" but to kill her.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I blame TV for the whole issue, even if people say the internet/video games are the cause. Video games and the internet is all virtual reality, while the stuff on TV which has become really crappy is mainly all fighting now a days with PEOPLE, NOT POLYGON CHARACTERS, and more kids of that age watch TV than use the internet or play games.

Also, might it be possible that school is just getting too boring for people these days? The kids may be getting too bored.

Last edited:

oiwio

Reaction score
Ive heard about this all week, and the reason that the kids were going to do this is because the teacher made them stand on their desks as punishment for something. But this is also the first time that I heard they werent planning on killing her.

But these kids are seriously messed up if they think they need to do that much for a simple punishment.

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Yeah, the whole thing seems crazy.
Big woop! You have to stand on a desk. I would think that's cool. :biggrin:

Stormscape

Reaction score
Nine year olds can be really dangerous if you have huge packs of them. For instance, give enough five year olds incentive to do something and they can take down any person, even Arnold Schwarzenegger.

sinogap

Reaction score
It's all in the media =/ kids these days know a lot from the media that we don't expect them to know

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, I still think it has something to do with their parents.

GamingX

Executive Team
Reaction score
Blame the media for making a mountain out of a molehill. How far would the kids have gone with their plan? I wouldn't know about 9 year olds there, but here no one gets such ideas. The kids have probably watched a lot of TV.

Dan

Reaction score
I doubt 9 year olds would have gone that far - my brother is 9 and he is always doing these stupid things with his friends but they are still to young to actually carry out something like that. Well at least I think they are....

purposed

Reaction score
Yes, the biggest question in this situation is where did the kids get their ideas from, and why do they even think of things like that?

The first reaction is to say that their ideas came from TV and movies. A similar argument came about how much violence there was in the old Looney Tune cartoons. Now, when you watch Roadrunner, or Bugs Bunny, they've cut a lot of the shooting scenes, and other strong violence.

I'm originally from the U.S., and I think the problem isn't with what is shown on TV, or in the movie theaters. The problem is that parents don't spend enough time with their kids anymore.

Europe has the same movies, and a lot of the violence that is shown on U.S. TV, too. However, when I lived in Germany for a couple of years, I didn't remember it having much effect on the youth at the time.

The same can be said about sex. The US is crawling with violent sexual perverts, but many European countries show much more nudity and sex, and it doesn't seem to have much effect on most people. They see it as entertainment, and not an instruction guide.

Whatever the reasons are, it's quite sad that kids that age aren't interested in their studies, or other hobbies outside of school.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Hence why the education system needs to be reformed so it isn't so boring/dull.

Status
Not open for further replies.