Nvidia Launches Tesla Supercomputer, up to 960 Cores for $10,000

fierce

Reaction score
“Personal” and “supercomputer” aren’t words that would usually appear side by side, unless you’re a mastermind at Nvidia. With the announcement of their latest machine, the Tesla Personal Supercomputer, they’re looking to bring what was normally thought of as gigantic, to the small time.

The Tesla only costs 1/100th of what a normal supercomputer cluster would cost, and only takes up a small fraction of the space. Thanks to heterogeneous computing, the process of CPUs acting in tandem with GPUs, it all fits right into a desktop form factor.

It’s reported that the Tesla is based off of Nvidia’s CUDA architecture, making it possible for the system to be programmed in the C language. 960 cores can be working side by side inside the system, and it’s claimed that these systems are already in use at MIT, Cambridge and other environments.

How much will your own personal supercomputer run you? An admittedly reasonable 10 large. Hey, 960 cores is a bargain at that rate.
Code:
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/nvidia_launches_tesla_supercomputer_960_cores_10000

I wanna have one :D .

- fierce .

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
But can it run Crysis?

Heh I'd like to see nVidia use that machine on their folding@home protein folding team

swirly

Reaction score
I remember reading about a memory wall somewhere. Like after 8 cores or something that its pointless to add more because we can't input enough data to utilize them.

sunils

Reaction score
Wow... its a good news. Already they are supplying processor for the mac book, now their own computer

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
Cool, 1,000 instances of Crysis, with a few hundred VPCs running at the same time.

I'm saving up for one. :lol:

fierce

Reaction score
Cool, 1,000 instances of Crysis, with a few hundred VPCs running at the same time.

I'm saving up for one. :lol:
If I start saving now .. it would take me min. 2 yrs and 4 that time this will probably be a every day toy . xD ...

Repneiras

Reaction score
But can it run Crysis?

Heh I'd like to see nVidia use that machine on their folding@home protein folding team

It doesn't matter if it can run Crysis :eek4: , it only matters if it can run Solitaire :lol:

But that's one really big quad-quad-duo-quad-quad-duo-quadish core processor :drool: I've just figured out my Christmas present for the next 10 years will be :biggrin:

-Repneiras ;)

F

Fahad

960 cores!?!
I know: let's calculate a few thousand trillion decimal places of Pi.

kkenny

Reaction score
lol. That's a lot of cores. I think 2 or 4 cores is enough for me though:)

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
I don't need more than 20 cores, but I'll get the super computer just in case :D

rkreborn

Reaction score
I think i'll build my computer for 1/10 of that... cheap -.-
lol i could trade my $7000 drumkit for it.