Opera

Bonekhan

Reaction score
Frankly, I'm sick of the lack of attention Opera is getting!

Why does this happen? I understand why Internet Explorer is popular--it comes packaged with just about every computer made with no pop-up blocker and hacking vulnerabilities. Firefox is popular too, with its buggy plugins, horrible themes, and buffer overrides.

In comparison, Opera--while not having all those fancy plugins you guys go gaw-gaw about--is faster, safer, and... while, to put it bluntly: Better.

Don't get me wrong. I've tried the competition; Like everyone I started with IE, I was one of the first to beta-test IE7, and then I moved to Firefox 1.5 and once again beta-tested Firefox 2--taking the trouble to compile the program myself just to try it. And then... Then, Opera went free.

So, lets analyze this. Lets look at why people prefer these browsers over other browsers. No one-word answers, no "OMG!!! F1ref0x teh rox!". I want well-thought out responses. Responses that you would post to make someone use that particular browser.

IE7: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.mspx
Firefox 2: ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/2.0/win32/en-US/Firefox%20Setup%202.0.exe
Opera 9.0: http://www.opera.com/download/
Flock: http://www.flock.com

I'm curious to know of some other browsers too. Another browser war topic? Go figure. I'm looking for REAL responses. Close this if you will, please.

(If you skipped down to read the bottom line: State why your browser is better than everyone else's and why it is better).

SEÑOR

The Guy Everyone Hates
Reaction score
Im still at wars of what to use. Between Opera Mozilla and IE.

Theres many bugs in all of them.

Christopher

Retired
Reaction score
I was using Opera for awhile, but it had way to many problems. There were many websites that it could not load correctly. I built in email client was not the best either. I had some nice features though. Now I'm using what I was using before Opera, Firefox. Best browser that I have found. It has so many extensions and styles. If your still using IE, I would highly advise upgrading to Firefox.

Aquilus

Reaction score
Havent got any problems with opera myself, best browser ever imo

genxtrm

Reaction score
I don't usually use Opera when I Browse I use IE of Mozilla!

genxtrm

Reaction score
But I like Opera sometimes because I can download torrents!!!

SEÑOR

The Guy Everyone Hates
Reaction score
I for now on use Opera, It IS THE BEST!!

Joker Boy

Reaction score
Well, at school it kinda lets us go anywhere b/c the firewall doesn't affect it. Only firefox and IE. All teh kids teh download it =^D

Bonekhan

Reaction score
Joker Boy said:
Well, at school it kinda lets us go anywhere b/c the firewall doesn't affect it. Only firefox and IE. All teh kids teh download it =^D

I don't understand why kids have to use the computer at schools... but that is beside the point.

yahia

Reaction score
Well well, I'm really sick of this.. Now each time I want to tell people that Opera is the best, I make them go right here.

More than half of the features aren't in IE nor Firefox, first or latest version.
Nice mail client, easy IRC client, bittorrent client (very easy also), transfers better than any (pause /resume), skins better than FIREFOX cause they don't BREAK AT each new version !!
Also, the content blocker, the feed reader which is very good. Fit-page-to-width, zooming with images,saving pages in .MHT, Widgets, show/hide imgs............ Does your wortheless IE7 or shiny firefox GOT this?

Firefox is the son of the web. This 2.0 version added stuff Opera had, like restoring tab sessions, and restore closed tabs.. so what?
Hakon Wium Lie says about IE7, with virtuosity: "Microsoft gave a paintjob to their pinto"
And I laugh each time I see Microsoft saying for IE7 "we heard you".

Opera had tabs 10 years ago. This feature should be removed from IE7's new features list. what a shame!

You decide. Bye.

Cubeform

Reaction score
I finally realise why I don't like to use Opera.

For a long time, I felt Opera had this thing about it that drove me away from it. With Opera 9, I decided to give it a go again. It still choked on IntelliTXT. It still doesn't support JavaScript 1.7 or E4X.

But the worst thing EVER was that it added this crappy widget engine and a BitTorrent client so basic, I wouldn't use it even if someone offered me a million dollars (OK, that's a bit hyperbolic, but you get the idea). But what really stood out was the interface. In my opinion, the interface was unintuitive, complicated and bloated. Did I mention the crappy widgets? No auto-updater?

I would love it if someone were to implement an internet suite in an accessible, uncluttered manner. But for now, Opera isn't it.

(And Firefox 2.0 has a spell checker! Opera doesn't!)

Aquilus

Reaction score
No one is forcing you to use the widgets or torrent (I dont use them), the intellitext
is working fine with me, and who needs a spelling checker anyways?

Also, what's so complicated and cluttered about the interface?

EDIT: Added screenshot

Last edited:

Bonekhan

Reaction score
Cubeform said:
I finally realise why I don't like to use Opera.

For a long time, I felt Opera had this thing about it that drove me away from it. With Opera 9, I decided to give it a go again. It still choked on IntelliTXT. It still doesn't support JavaScript 1.7 or E4X.

But the worst thing EVER was that it added this crappy widget engine and a BitTorrent client so basic, I wouldn't use it even if someone offered me a million dollars (OK, that's a bit hyperbolic, but you get the idea). But what really stood out was the interface. In my opinion, the interface was unintuitive, complicated and bloated. Did I mention the crappy widgets? No auto-updater?

I would love it if someone were to implement an internet suite in an accessible, uncluttered manner. But for now, Opera isn't it.

(And Firefox 2.0 has a spell checker! Opera doesn't!)

In order:

I filter out IntelliText scripts by a homebrew userscript installed. I'm told Javascript 1.7 and E4X will be added next version by some of the staff team (as I frequent the Opera Forums) and am pleased to wait.

While the torrenting features are childish, its a start. I use the widget engine while I'm waiting for something to download, and it DOES have some useful purposes.

And... well... the interface? Cluttered? What the [bleep]? This is leaps and bounds cleaner than my Firefox browser. For someone who likes to have EVERYTHING at his fingertips, without so much as a context menu (cough--Firefox), Opera delievers: IRC, Bookmarks, Built-in Trashbin (Equivilent to SessionSaver), and tons more, some of your peeves just seem... Well, trivial.

And there is an auto-updater.

Ferinos

Reaction score
lol. Operas not my thing but I like a lot of styles of music.

cetutnx1

Reaction score
Well... in my opinion moust web browsers do everithing that the programers want except for browsing web pages...

I've read some where over the net that ALL of web browser have a 66% of support in html tags + css(of course that this can vary from version to version)

I won't deny that Firefox and Opera have the BEST support but like i sayd before it's only 66% of what W3C offers...

So in my opinion(because all i use is the web browser) every web browser have they issues:
IE7: Haven't test it
IE6: so many html + css deficiencies that can't be named in a sinlge post, but mutch more better that IE5.5 and 5
FF: Bery good, but extensions may be anoing some times
NE: Haven't test new versions (4.5 sucks)
OP: Bery good, have everithing i need without installing any extensions
FL: Haven't tested
SA: haven't tested, but some one tell me that rendering enigne was very mutch like FF

Everything besides a web browser is extra!

Firefox is only a web browser and is heavier that opera that is a web browser + email client + irc + everithin else...

Until opera 8.5 i like opera because it can run on my test machine(PI 233 + 64MbRAM)
mutch more faster that Firefox but this are trivial thing because that machine is history and new machines are better...

Last edited:

tgkprog

Reaction score
i dig opera too

esp the speed, usability ... crl-T, Ctrl-B , the way it handles bookmarks, ability to open all book marks in a folder with a click .... simply super

firefox is soo slow and unforgiving i dont get the fuss
Edit:
also love in opera - ability to save a session -set of open pages and reload them at start up or at another time

Last edited:

hussam

Reaction score
Opera is the best solution for internet browsing, they have made it almost compatible with all websites. And it is being improved day by day. They have released a new engine in Opera 9.5 Kestrel (beta)...i cant wait to have the final edition

http://www.opera.com/products/desktop/next/

although i dont agree with the fact that it is lightweight, it isnt, but its lighter than any browser i have used, i have almost used all browsers, they are all faulty, but Opera is just perfect.

You can modify it to a certain limit, Firefox is more flexible when it comes to plugins, but the way it looks is bad, its slow, hard to handle, not as secure as opera.

IE is history to me i have never used it for about 5 years

My opinion Opera #1 , Firefox #2

Last edited: