Outgoing Mail Server Not Sending

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkey050

Reaction score
For some reason I cannot establish a connection with the SMTP server for my website. I also cannot see the server status under cPanel anymore - the link is gone.

I've tried all the possible connection types, non-secure, SSL, and TLS (if available) and I can receive but not send. I was able to send E-Mail a couple days ago but now this isn't working either.

I'm using Thunderbird and it's set up properly - all the port numbers are correct. I checked the usernames, passwords, everything. It is set to use authentication.

I'm getting this message:
Sending of message failed.
The message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server mail.tobbs.pcriot.com failed.
The server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections. Please verify that your SMTP server setting is correct and try again, or else contact your network administrator
It's not giving me any specific error details besides that message.

Subdomain: tobbs.pcriot.com
cPanel Username: tobbs
Server: absolut

bugfinder

Retired
Reaction score
Oddly, while its connecting to the right IP mail.tobbs.pcriot.com isnt working for me, however, if you drop the mail and use tobbs.pcriot.com it seems to work. Despite both resolving to the same IP. I will get someone to take a look

bugfinder

Retired
Reaction score
Monkey050, it would look to be working for me now, where as it didnt yesterday. Please try now.

monkey050

Reaction score
I've still not got it working.
Was I supposed to change an account setting??

Everything is as it requests in cPanel currently.

bugfinder

Retired
Reaction score
if you can go to a command line and do

telnet mail.tobbs.pcriot.com smtp

if you get no connectino now, I would say there is possibly something blocking you using smtp, as this has worked, if you do get a connection type "quit" to leave :)

if you do get a connection something else is wrong as that just made an smtp connection to your mail server.

monkey050

Reaction score
I'm on Windows Vista Ultimate - command prompt won't do that for me. It says it's not recognized as an internal or external command, etc.

Edit: Vista lacks telnet by default - I need to install it. Hold on..
Wow that took a long time.

This is what I see:
telnetio3.jpg

Last edited:

bugfinder

Retired
Reaction score
OK so thats an smtp connection. So, that part works, the rest has to be a mail client setup issue, did you try changing the + to an @ as suggested?

monkey050

Reaction score
No. I'll try that now.
Edit: Didn't work. I changed it on both the outgoing server and the regular account settings and it just isn't working. I know that SMTP works for the other computers in the house so I know that it's not the router blocking SMTP ports.

I don't know if it makes a difference but I've been trying with SSL - I've always used SSL without a problem.

Reminder: I'm using Thunderbird.

Last edited:

monkey050

Reaction score
Worked!
Keep in mind though I did switch the usernames back to + after that failed.

Would like to be able to use secure connection, but if this works I'll stick with it. Is there any possibility of getting SSL working again?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
I will put the idea in for you but I don't make any promises. Since this is working now I am going to close this thread, if this isn't the case feel free to re-open this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.