Photoshop problems

Parsa44

Reaction score
Reecently i made a photoshop effecte where:

I got a picture and blurred it out.
Then used a colour balance adjustment layer to turn it a nice cyan colour.
Then used the marquee tool and a brush to create a semi-transparent line.
And it gave a nice glow effect where i had a line across the page that has a strange sort of glow.

So i thought how about turning the white line red or blue?
First i used hue/saturation, that just ruined the glow effect because i had to reduce the lighting.

So I decided to search google for some tutorials.
One tutorial i found:

Used 5 adjustment layers all clipped to diffrent layers.
One on the background and 4 on the glowing streaks.

So I made a new adjustment layer, clipped it onto the layer where the glowing streak was and adjusted the values.... nothing changed.

The only thing that did change was that the colour balance adjustment layer became "Invisable" and its effect was no longer seen.
Anybody know why?

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd just use the blending options (effects panel) and put a color overlay. Just change the opacity of the overlay.

Parsa44

Reaction score
I'd just use the blending options (effects panel) and put a color overlay. Just change the opacity of the overlay.

This might make me look like a bit of a newbie but.
Where is the effects panel?

I am pretty sure i have used it before but is it pecificly called effects pannel or is that a common name for it...?

Thanks anyway, you have been repped.

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
Haha. I made that name up. One second.

It's really called Blending Options. You can get to it by right clicking on a layer, and selecting "Blending Options" Alternatively, if you are using CS or higher, double click on the layer and it will bring up the options menu.