PHP- file() not working in cron?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoochi2

Reaction score
Hey. I have a file that is run by my crontab once every 24 hours. It simply loads up a list of values and changes my site to reflect those values.
It works fine.

However, when run under the crontab, it generates the following error:

Code:
[/FONT]Warning:  file() [function.file]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in **SCRIPT URL** on line 3
Of course, this leads to another error:
Code:
Warning:  file([URL="http://www.nationstates.net/cgi-bin/regiondata.cgi/region=antarctica"]**URL**[/URL]) [function.file]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in **SCRIPT URL** on line 3

Like I said, the errors only occurs when the file is run on the cron, and works perfectly if I simply load up the script in my browser.

Here's the first three lines of the script. Of course, as above I have replaced the actual URL with **URL**. The URL should not make a difference to the file() problem.
Code:
#!/usr/local/bin/php -q
<?php
$file = file ("**URL**");

What's really confusing me is that this script used to work. Then all of a sudden without any changes to it, it stopped working!)
Am I doing something wrong, has the server/permissions changed or something else?

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
So you're certain that opening the PHP file in the browser works with no errors, and the issue only occurs when the script is run by the Cron Daemon? I need to confirm this before we go any further.

-Luke.

Scoochi2

Reaction score
Yes, I have run the file in my browser, and outputs exactly what it should. Never seen an error when I run it myself.

However, when the Cron Daemon sends me the output of the run in email, it gives me the errors previously mentioned.
Edit:
Oh, my PHP configuration is Intermediate, if that helps :)

Last edited:

Jarryd

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I have alerted an admin of your issue, you should receive a reply shortly.

Christopher

Retired
Reaction score
Can you use local file access? /home/scoochi2/folder/path/of/the/script for example.

Last edited:

Scoochi2

Reaction score
Can you use local file access? /home/scoochi2/folder/path/of/the/script for example.

Affirmative. That's how I run the cron.
It does run the script, although it can't get the information it needs -through file()- and then continues, acting without the information it needs to.

But yeah, it does run it.

Scoochi2

Reaction score
oh. Well I use file() from an unrelated url.
It's a brief XML feed that I'm fileing :)
Sorry if I didn't make that clear previously.

done via the normal file("http://etc...");

Last edited:

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Instead of php -q or /usr/bin/php in your cron path, use php-cron for the binary.

-Corey

Scoochi2

Reaction score
I think that's solved it... it ran the first time and got me disabled for high usage. (???)
The second time it ran, it did it perfectly!

Brilliant. Thanks to all :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.